Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigd2657

Reaction score
Hi all,

With all the Brewdog and similar companies now making all this hopped beer, do you think we are now starting to take the true taste of a good old fashioned beer away and staring to make more beer taste like alcoholic grapefruit juice or similar drinks .

I am totally happy with people adding hops to beer as I know that is one of the fundamentals but seriously do you not think we are going a bit to far.

I for one cannot stand the Brewdog Beers as they don't taste like the traditional pint of which I am used to .

Before any thinks I am mad , I am from Manchester with a good lot of breweries in the area.

One of the main ones being Joseph Holts, (SIXEX) and also Robinsons Brewery (THE TROOPER)

Also my age is only 43 years so I am not past it or lost my marbles.

Id be keen to see peoples views on this subject.

Thanks

Big D 2657:drunk:

I don't think the new American style beers have replaced traditional British beers, for me they're complementary. The more modern styles probably have a different target market to the more traditional ales but, hopefully, the people who become interested in "craft" beers will develop sufficient interest to start sampling a wider range of beers including traditional British beers.

Its all opinion but mine is theres to many over hopped beers that taste watered down (in body not flavour) but I do love a very bitter hoppy IPA as long as theres some body behind it. But depending on the mood I also like a traditional bitter, mild or stout.

No,I think the "new" style of beers are fantastic and whilst there will always be a place for a mild,bitter or best the new stuff is a revolution in taste terms.
Brewdog beers are super imo even if the owners are not

no, I love hoppy beers but i've even made a few with no hops at all :-o

(a couple of dark malty beers.)

its just another style to enjoy.

Imagine only ever eating a single fruit all your life, you'd be missing out on a great variety.

Before all this craft beer stuff exploded onto the scene Badgers Golden Champion was one of my fave beers, very tangerine flavour. But now it just seems to be a middle of the road beer compared to others. That's the amazing progress we've had over the last few years.

I worry more about sours than uber hoppy beers, sours can go wrong big time, and some of them are the emperors new clothes, and ARE truly awful. :sick:

I would have drank mostly Guinness up to a few years ago with the odd Coors or Budweiser as I was seriously prone to hangovers.
My niece gave me a selection of Ale's in a box for Christmas and they were lovely at the time.
A few months later and with a push from a work colleague I got back into brewing again as this had just opened my mind again going straight to using grain and no hangover.
The amount of different beers I've tried is fantastic totally mixing and matching to taste their individuality for body, flavour, aroma and bitterness etc.
Now I brew something different every time and it's drinkable and every bit as good as what is on the taps,shelves out there.
We can strive to recreate what we taste and possibly make it better for our own pallet whether we use recipes or our own intuition but too me it's each to their own.
At the end of the day how did these beers we come to like grow up with get there.Chances are the brewer was a home brewer before they went commercial.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm all for it, and in a big way. I prefer 'old fashioned' bitter myself, and in the 30 years I've been drinking them I've certainly come across a few that had fruity elements, but they're still different from the Brewdog style (which I don't dislike).

The new craft beers (whatever that actually means) are keeping beer alive though, bringing to a new audience and creating jobs. And every brewery in the UK increases the percentage of beer we consume being brewed by British workers.

I dont like these uber hoppy beers and have never drank a brewdog beer. I prefer English styles and lagers (but not English Lager though).
I'm all for people like brewdog, even if their marketing strategy is a bit twatty (seems to work though). As they turn new people on to Ale and encourage people to try new styles. It wont be long till old 'retro' styles of beer, like mild are fashionable I suspect

I do like the 'new' beers now widely available, and use Cascade quite a lot in my own beers, and my tastes have now changed to take this on board.
However I really enjoy a good pint of bitter and a proper English IPA (White Shield, SN IPA etc) brewed with English hops. That said some bitters available in the pub can be very variable, so if I'm in a new pub I usually ask to sample before choosing if it's not too busy, with most bar staff happy to comply.
So like others I think its good to have a wide range to choose from.

I dont like these uber hoppy beers and have never drank a brewdog beer. I prefer English styles and lagers (but not English Lager though).
I'm all for people like brewdog, even if their marketing strategy is a bit twatty (seems to work though). As they turn new people on to Ale and encourage people to try new styles. It wont be long till old 'retro' styles of beer, like mild are fashionable I suspect

I am sure you're right, and I certainly hope so.

I am sure you're right, and I certainly hope so.

All the hipster pubs around SE London that I go into (they're the only place to get a decent pint apart from spoons pubs) already serve their ale in retro style tankards like this

$_3.JPG

Good old hipsters! I had a pint in the Marquis of Wellington in Bermondsey yesterday - great pub, and a great pint too. And definitely hipsterish.

Good old hipsters! I had a pint in the Marquis of Wellington in Bermondsey yesterday - great pub, and a great pint too. And definitely hipsterish.

That the thing I've noticed now in London, most of the pubs are either hipster watering holes, grotty old men pubs that just serve Fosters and Guinness or spoons

Bigd2657 said:
Before any thinks I am mad , I am from Manchester with a good lot of breweries in the area.

One of the main ones being Joseph Holts, (SIXEX) and also Robinsons Brewery (THE TROOPER)

Also my age is only 43 years so I am not past it or lost my marbles.

Rapidly approaching the big 43 and from the other side of Stockport. However, my view is completely different. Whilst Robinsons aren't bad brewers their range epitomizes the issue with what is perceived as traditional, and also how stripped down and bland British beer had become during the 80s. Robbies have big range of beers that all taste of Unicorn, even when they try and hit the Craft market with beers like Hoptimus Prime. Brewed by accountants and marketing people, to be high profit yielding beer and anaemic enough to appeal to the widest market, whilst convincing people its traditional, despite not resembling beer from 50+ years ago.

Craft brewers tend to put their emphasis on quality and are more likely to incorporate traditional techniques from home and abroad. I see more historic beers from archived brew logs being brewed by the Craft sector than any other. Whilst also innovating and creating new styles. Craft brewers are also pushing hop suppliers and maltsters to resurrect old varieties and innovate new ones. Good times.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

when I first discovered ale; I stuck religiously to darks, stouts and porters, unless I couldn't get anything else. Now; I am completely the other end of the spectrum and get the hoppiest stuff I can- I have Tiny Rebel's new(ish) Captain Insano Triple IPA in my fridge for eg waiting for me! I do still like the occasional porter; and had the Guinness Antwerpen Stout the other night; but it's really American IPA's and APA's now if I can get them. It's good to mix it up though.

I love the 'new (heavily hoppy) beers' available these days,obviously some better than others.Think i have a wide range of taste however,will happily drink stout's and porter's, Black ipa's,mild's, bitter's and pales.
Must admit i do a fair few hoppy brews,ie Cascade,Amarillo,Chinook etc etc.

I love variety, I go through phases of drinking really hoppy beers and phases of drinking maltier traditional English beers. I don't think of myself as being the biggest fan of stouts and porters but every now and again I'll have one and tend to enjoy them, which for me speaks to the enjoyment of a wide range of beers. I think the influence of US craft brewery in the UK is a positive thing, I think quality is higher and it's not as if traditional styles have gone away, there's just more choice. It's a great time to be a beer consumer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was always a lager/cider man for many years, that was until I was given a bottle of Punk IPA. I was blown away by the flavour and aroma. From that moment my eyes were opened to a whole new world of different styles including traditional ales. It's been a bit of a journey and a fun one too! So here I am brewing my own beers, loving every minute of it and planning the move to AG. I guess my point is; without that first bottle I would never have even tried anything else let alone brewing my own. :)

Wow, thanks for your views this is very interesting.
I will maybe try some more happy beers.

Back