Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont like these uber hoppy beers and have never drank a brewdog beer. I prefer English styles and lagers (but not English Lager though).
I'm all for people like brewdog, even if their marketing strategy is a bit twatty (seems to work though). As they turn new people on to Ale and encourage people to try new styles. It wont be long till old 'retro' styles of beer, like mild are fashionable I suspect
Couldn't've said it better myself Myqul..! I too like traditional English beers and continental 'lagers' - drinking my Austrian dark at the moment - not a great fan of the heavily hopped styles that are so popular just now, but hey...each to their own right?. Hats off to Brewdog and all the rest for filling a hole in the market, but their styles are not for me personally :-?

Interesting where Brewdog fits into this, and how they are perceived by either end of the spectrum.

They helped give the industry a kick up the ****, but now mass produce pretty average craft beer.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I love 'em all. I love the traditional beers of the UK, Belgium and Germany, the resurrected styles and the more recent innovations. Wheat, rye, barley, oats, hoppy, sour, malty, fruity, bitter, citrus, strong, refreshing, warming, it's great all the things that have been done and I'm excited where brewing is going.

Interesting where Brewdog fits into this, and how they are perceived by either end of the spectrum.

They helped give the industry a kick up the ****, but now mass produce pretty average craft beer.

Some of the smaller batch stuff they brew is absolutely outstanding I think.

Which suggests most of, including their core range, isn't. [emoji6]

They have their place, however there are many breweries producing better, with a higher level of quality and consistency across their range.

I find traditional beer drinkers equate craft beer as brewdog, as it is accessible, and then judge craft beer accordingly, with the view that they are the benchmark. The concensus between the brewers, vendors and drinkers I know, is that their output is variable in quality, even within beers.

Beer is beer regardless of tradition or marketing, there is good and bad beer.

I've never tried any of their smaller batch or large batch core range but I think when large breweries do smaller batches they can make some outstanding beers. Perhaps because more 'love' goes into these smaller batches. The St Austell Brewery did/or do small batches. When I was in Cornwall last summer (iirc) I tried a small batch milk mild. It was delicous!

Which suggests most of, including their core range, isn't. [emoji6]

They have their place, however there are many breweries producing better, with a higher level of quality and consistency across their range.

I find traditional beer drinkers equate craft beer as brewdog, as it is accessible, and then judge craft beer accordingly, with the view that they are the benchmark. The concensus between the brewers, vendors and drinkers I know, is that their output is variable in quality, even within beers.

Beer is beer regardless of tradition or marketing, there is good and bad beer.

I will say I had a few brewdog beers and guest beers in cardiff and they were all superb the vermont ipa v3 especially, apart from thier cocoa psycho was just ok whereas I loved it in the past. It could be variable quality or I'm making ris's that suit my tatses better than them. It's the latter I think because the brooklyn black chocolate doesn't impress me like it used too :oops:

Wow this thread is really interesting as to what people are thinking and actually quite diverse.

Just making comment. Of course they have a right to advertise it however they see fit.

Personally I do find the whole 'rebel punk brewer' thing a bit silly though

Yeah, but I guess they use slogans to attract custom, there are much more stupid and even offensive craft beers out there, just look at the flying dog range.
What I can't understand is the contempt for the owners of brewdog, I don't see what they've done wrong.

Yeah, but I guess they use slogans to attract custom, there are much more stupid and even offensive craft beers out there, just look at the flying dog range.
What I can't understand is the contempt for the owners of brewdog, I don't see what they've done wrong.

Not sure really. It might be that they seem pretty obsessed with maketing, stunts and getting as big as some of the other large breweries but trying to claim that their rebels and punks at the same time?

Brewdog deserves alot of credit for invigorating the industry, but as already pointed out, they've outgrown their original ethos, and are a bit of a parody of themselves. Wouldn't say I hate them, though.

In my opinion there is considerably better beer out there. Possibly the way their product is handled after it has left the brewery has an impact on that, but at their current pricepoint I think there has been some cheapening of the product over the years.

I feel it's a shame for all the good small uk craft breweries, and uk beer in general when I read that people experience craft beer for the first time by trying Punk IPA (which is not the best example of style) and dismiss all craft beer as over-hopped rubbish. Especially as IPAs are only one of many styles brewed.

Brewdog likes and dislikes

Like:

Lizard bride
Jackhammer
Mr President
Hardcore IPA
Elvis Juice
Vermont ipa v3
Libertine

Won't be drinking that again....

5am saint
dead pony club

If there's nothing better I'll have one

Punk ipa*
cocoa psycho*

* - these last two were not as good as they once were IMO

I'm immune to the advertising output from brewdog, It's a bit over the top compared to others but I just ignore it. I drink beer not words :grin:

I've never tried anything by Brewdog - I am utterly immune to advertising. Are they any good then, 'dubious' marketing techniques aside? Tell me what I'm missing.

Back