How do friends review your home brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerryjo

Still brewing though never get much time....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a neighbour/friend over chatting the other day and would normally give a brew if anything different on the shelf.
I gave him three bottles
1 threw together brew( wishy-washy)
2 porter/stout slightly fruity
3 stout which is bitter with a coffee/chocolate note.
He messaged me with the message below and when speaking to him today also commented on the the stout which his mother tried and thought was lovely and doesn't even drink stout!
Was chuffed to bits.
0162bf1e93516b41d6ee463e86b33c28.jpg

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

My regular drinking buddy thinks Boddingtons is great....so my beers are the root of all evil. I can honestly say in the 17 or so I've made so far I've liked them all. Only two so far haven't been pure kit...one had a hop steep and one was a partial mash..which turned out great. Most people I find assume it's going to be 10% and dreadful...and their go to drink iis fosters or Boddingtons or other ****....so anything with any taste or aroma must be poisonous. ..I despaire sometimes! It just leaves more for me!
Well..most of the above is true except for a chap from the allotment who tried a couple last week and was very impressed. ...then he's an ale drinker...

Cheers

Clint

I've given a few to friends over the years and to people at work, and they've always enjoyed them... I don't know if it's just that people are too polite to say they're rubbish, or they don't know anything about beer so just say they like it! I've liked all my own beers though, I've done probably 15 kits over a few years, and they've all been good in my opinion, some I've dry hopped or added to, but mostly just stuck to the kit. The latest one that's conditioning is my first all grain, so fingers crossed people like that one too.

I gave a bottle to my boss a few weeks ago as he's a big ale fan, it could go either way when you do that! He was complimentary about it but I haven't been offered a huge pay rise, so make of that what you will!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My regular drinking buddy thinks Boddingtons is great....so my beers are the root of all evil. I can honestly say in the 17 or so I've made so far I've liked them all. Only two so far haven't been pure kit...one had a hop steep and one was a partial mash..which turned out great. Most people I find assume it's going to be 10% and dreadful...and their go to drink iis fosters or Boddingtons or other ****....so anything with any taste or aroma must be poisonous. ..I despaire sometimes! It just leaves more for me!
Well..most of the above is true except for a chap from the allotment who tried a couple last week and was very impressed. ...then he's an ale drinker...

Cheers

Clint

My best pal is the same, steadfastly refuses to enjoy anything except best bitter, I've had him sample all sorts that I've made and even if I do say so, have been pretty damned decent beers. The peevish sod just pulls a face haha. I've felt like decking him before now! Now I just give him some twangy Wherry I'm trying to get rid of and he loves it.

Thinking on its a mixed bag....some people will drink **** if it's free,others are just fussy and will moan about anything, some will say it's average because they like the idea of paying sod all a pint but totally can't be arsed doing it themselves because they're too idle or would love to have a go but the resident dragon won't "let" them. But you have to ask yourself...if it is such ****...why do they keep tipping it down their throats?

I've stopped paying attention to what friends and family say, unfortunately you can't trust them as they're too nice even if they're trying to be objective.

The thing is when you're into beer and you're willing to try everything even beers that aren't your normal tipple you'll agree they are either good or bad beers...somethings will never taste good.

I've not had homebrew with loads of friends but those that have tried it have been polite, whether they were genuinely enjoying it or not I don't know. One friend who has home brewed particularly has complimented a couple of my brews which probably does mean more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My best pal is the same, steadfastly refuses to enjoy anything except best bitter, I've had him sample all sorts that I've made and even if I do say so, have been pretty damned decent beers. The peevish sod just pulls a face haha. I've felt like decking him before now! Now I just give him some twangy Wherry I'm trying to get rid of and he loves it.

I'd hoke out a few empty bitter bottles from a pub of something he hasn't tried before and fill em with something you've made but not tell him, let him drink away at them whilst you drink "your homebrew". Don't let on until about a week later after he has told everyone about the great new bitter he tried.

I only really give my beers to my dad and a bloke at work . Most of my other friends either don't drink or don't like beer.

Beers always very well recieved..

I do wish I had someone local to bottle swap with, even would be happy to swap with bottles who they are not sure about I can do the same,, its all what we are looking for proper feedback and collaboration with like minded folk.

My friend in the post has no bother telling his opinion as he's quite direct and if it's **** well it's his opinion but was well chuffed.
I also have given the same brews to others and have had mixed reviews and one of them is a homebrewer who's opinion I do value.So a lot is down to people's pallets as my niece who's only 18 loved my brews and commented at the fact that she didn't have a hangover which normally happens when drinking her Coors.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Give beer away? Like, for free?? I can't suss if you lot are being serious... I suspect not, it's some type of joke and with me being a bit slow on the uptake an' all that.

To be honest I have never had a bad word, although I take that with a pinch of salt.

To be honest I don't really have that many round to try them so it is hard to judge. I have a couple of mates that live in the bigger cities so are used to brewdog and the likes and they really appreciate a good beer, others are probably confused.

Give beer away? Like, for free?? I can't suss if you lot are being serious... I suspect not, it's some type of joke and with me being a bit slow on the uptake an' all that.

The nerdy part of me enjoys the recognition of the skills or effort put into my hobby.. I suspect I am not alone in this

Plus HB has a negative stigma I think from poor quality kits of the past.. SO its all a part of proving that you can make great beer.

I know I am sad.

The nerdy part of me enjoys the recognition of the skills or effort put into my hobby.. I suspect I am not alone in this

Plus HB has a negative stigma I think from poor quality kits of the past.. SO its all a part of proving that you can make great beer.

I know I am sad.

I do know what you mean. But I've given away loads over the years with the only reward being requests for more. Got wise to that and put a stop to it, telling them if they like it that much I'll show them how to carry on. Even made more than a few kegs at cost but it aint wort the effort. Nah it's all mine now, they know it's good so they can make it themselves and put the effort in or pay over the odds elsewhere. I am known for being tighter than a gnat's chuff btw!

My wife's getting used to being asked more critical questions so now when I ask what she thinks she does pause for a minute and give decent feedback. Her dad's my other main consumer, he's fairly honest with them, and he's been the most positive about my Belgian Braggot which me and the wife both think is nice but odd. But he must enjoy them since he asked to subsidize my brewing since he gets so much of it. So I've now got a 25kg sack of Irish Ale malt from GEB, he was a bit taken aback when I told him it was good for 200 - 280 pints of beer.

I've had a few that want to buy all my stock and one said it's not his bag but generally its well received. I do however target my brews towards what my friends and colleagues like. no point in giving a quad to a light hoppy beer fan. I tried a wheat beer on a lager fan and is wasn't well received but the same beer was raved about by someone else at work.

I've given a few to friends over the years and to people at work, and they've always enjoyed them... I don't know if it's just that people are too polite to say they're rubbish, or they don't know anything about beer so just say they like it! I've liked all my own beers though, I've done probably 15 kits over a few years, and they've all been good in my opinion, some I've dry hopped or added to, but mostly just stuck to the kit. The latest one that's conditioning is my first all grain, so fingers crossed people like that one too.

Hope ur AG turns out ok mate.

I give mine to two ale drinkers in work to sample. At first I think they were being polite in saying how nice the beer was.
Now I'm making decent stuff I can tell the difference in the way they talk about it. Not just polite now, more enthusiasm.
One even asked me could I brew a batch for him if he bought the ingredients.
Er no, time in the fv's is precious.

Back