Flaked oats?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_bridger

Reaction score
Just took delivery of some flaked oats for a NEIPA, not used them before, and kinda wasn't expecting them to look like this. Do they look right? Who am I to argue with brupaks? Lol.
1ba1aac1aca343a3aa15195e272ad7b3.jpg
adad0e23a517e250ca3a0e059cc24df3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That doesn't look like flaked oats, it looks like oat malt or torrified oats.
Flaked oats are the same as porridge oats.

I've never seen flaked oats with hulls. Btw for future reference you can use normal porridge oats from Tesco, they're the same thing and much cheaper.

Used quick oats in stout before, I did a bit of reading and some say they are same, some say different. I just thought I'd try and get the proper stuff. I've emailed Brupaks see what they say.

Yeah just buy Oats from tesco.

The Roll flaked malted Oats can be confusing though.

You can also toast your oats as well to give some flavours

Used quick oats in stout before, I did a bit of reading and some say they are same, some say different. I just thought I'd try and get the proper stuff. I've emailed Brupaks see what they say.

As others have said porridge oats from the supermarket ARE the proper stuff. You just get charged more at the HBS for the same thing

Well got a reply from Brupaks....

Ross

Our oats are produced by Micronised Food Products and are flaked and crushed for optimum extraction.* I'm sure you will enjoy using them.

regards

Not sure what that really tells me. Got em now so might as well use em and see. Paying extra for the weight of the hulls, but will aid volauf/sparge I suppose.

I'm about to use flaked oats for the first time also, in a Guinness. Mine look like Croni's. The reply from Brupaks is rubbish; open copy paste send next.

As others have said porridge oats from the supermarket ARE the proper stuff. You just get charged more at the HBS for the same thing

Plain cornflakes are the same as flaked maize, too. About 27p for 500g asda smart price ones. Yes there's extra ingredients in what are no more than trace amounts which in practical terms affect the beer not one iota. I know - I use them often and in substantial percentages.

To the OP: whatever is in the bag is not 'flaked'.

Last edited:
Plain cornflakes are the same as flaked maize, too. About 27p for 500g asda smart price ones. Yes there's extra ingredients in what are no more than trace amounts which in practical terms affect the beer not one iota. I know - I use them often and in substantial percentages.

To the OP: whatever is in the bag is not 'flaked'.

oo is that true. I thought you couldnt use corn flakes because of the other stuff in their with them

oo is that true. I thought you couldnt use corn flakes because of the other stuff in their with them

I've used homebrew shop flaked maize and as far as the resulting ale goes, there's no difference. The 'additives' in cornflakes are in such miniscule amounts in a brew that they amount to nothing. Just don't use honey nut ones or summat like that!

I've used homebrew shop flaked maize and as far as the resulting ale goes, there's no difference. The 'additives' in cornflakes are in such miniscule amounts in a brew that they amount to nothing. Just don't use honey nut ones or summat like that!

I once made a light american lager style beer but didnt have any flaked maze so I just used sugar to lighten the body. It came out all cidery. Think I might have another go using corn flakes then :thumb:

Back