London tower block inferno

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godsdog

Landlord.
Reaction score
Terrible news to wake up to this morning,reports of folk dead,this tower block was recently refurbished and seems it had no sprinklers installed,shocking if true,Rip to the lost lives

There will be a lot more people living there than the authorities know about.

Edited to say.

Before anybody starts getting up on there back legs over this comment above.

My ex-girlfriend was looking for a room to rent in this area (low end price) a couple of years ago and out of the 9 rooms she looked at 7 of them were sub-let local authority houses and flats.
So the local authorities will not really know who is living there and the full extent of the fatalities for some considerable time.

A lot of my comments are from personal experience and not just blind dogma.

I thank god i don't have to live in a tower block,that would always be one of my fears,shades of the film 'the towering inferno' there!.
By all accounts the fire alarms failed to go off and as for the possibility of no sprinkler system:twisted: peoples heads must roll i would think.
Probably get the same old story, Well we will learn lessons from this:twisted:

This is horrific.

Hearing stories about desperate parents throwing their children out of upper floors in hope that they may survive

I feel sick to the stomach.. Poor people :(

A guy who lived on the floor where the fire started said the firemen either couldn't get to the dry riser or it didn't work.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnrqXBYWOsU[/ame]
dryrisersystem.jpg

Just watching the BBC reporting.
Why oh why do these b####y reporters ask such inane damn questions in interviews:twisted::twisted::twisted:

I doubt very much if a true death toll will ever be known.Reports said that up to 600 people lived in the block.These days with the sub letting that goes on there could and probably were people living there that were not supposed to be!.
It would appear that there were real missgivings about the safety of the building by many residents which seem to have been not listened to and also one report of intimidation of a resident by one or more of the contractors who were working on the refurbishment!

Just watching the BBC reporting.
Why oh why do these b####y reporters ask such inane damn questions in interviews:twisted::twisted::twisted:

I was thinking the same thing. I heard a reporter earlier asking a witness exactly how far up the building they saw a man jump from. And then wanted to know if he'd survived the fall! What an a**ehole.

There could well be more than 100 people perished, a central London local authority building like that.
Families with lots of children at that time of the night, it is a massive tragedy.

There'll be massive repercussions from this for the construction company who carried out the refurbishments. The rate of fire spread appears to have been far, far faster than you'd expect in a recently modernised building unless the materials used and compartmentation wasn't as per the spec...

When i used to work on building sites many moons ago they used to have inspectors do they not have these now?

One of the people interviewed said the fire service carried out an inspection last weekend (if i heard right) if that is true and they said it was safe they are for the high jump.

I sense an ugly fight coming where ministers, officials and construction and maintenance companies all point the finger at each other. The victims and their families deserve better so I hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears crazy to me that cladding would be made of such flammable material.
It was probably worse because it is summer time and people would have there windows open, the flames may well have caught the curtains and blinds alight.
I heard that something was removed during the recent refurb, I wonder if was fire breaks in the risers?

If what i have seen on the news today is true it looks like the blame is going to be shared equally between fire service (inspection), contractors and the councils who ignored the concerns of the people that lived there especially about the fire risk, as Ajhutch said i hope the guilty accept the blame do not try to shirk their responsibility.

I sense an ugly fight coming where ministers, officials and construction and maintenance companies all point the finger at each other. The victims and their families deserve better so I hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dead right. Already earlier today the construction company apparently said that all the requirements had been met with regards to safety features!.
Sure it will get ugly,everyone is going to duck and dive to cover their backs:twisted:

Latest posts

Back