2nd Brew Noob - First Post- Brewferm Triple Kit - Repitch Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knightgb

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am working on my second brew, a Brewferm Triple. I'm currently on my fourth pint of my first evening of trying my first brew, Razorback IPA, which turned out nicely, so hopefully this makes sense.

My question is about possible stuck fermentation/repitching yeast.

I started the kit on 25 May with an OG of 1.084, which I think the gravity was a little high, I dunno though. I made my own Belgian Candi Sugar and added 550 grams of that.

Fermentation went well at first, I think I saw bubbles in airlock within a day. Then after about four days airlock stopped bubbling and the gravity was already down to 1.010, which is recommended bottling gravity (I think I read the gravity correctly at 1.010, but I was in a hurry and new to gravity readings). So, per the instructions, since the gravity was about 1.010, i siphoned into secondary fermentation the next day. After a few days of minor bubbling in secondary and then bubbling subsiding I checked gravity and it went back up to 1.024. I checked a day or two later and still 1.024. I read somewhere on the internet to add sugar to secondary if your brew gets stuck in secondary fermentation. So I added 85 grams of Sainsburys golden granulated sugar. So tonight I checked again, airlock is not moving, and it was only down to 1.018, which is still off the 1.010 bottling gravity. I ordered a pack of Safbrew S-33 yeast and have it standing by.

Should I repitch the Safbrew yeast? If I re pitch the Safbrew yeast, the bag says it is for 23 liters, my Brewferm kit is 9 liters, should I re pitch a little less than half the bag or throw it all in? Should I just bottle at this point? Any other suggestions?

I actually think your brew is probably finished. Basically the higher your OG the higher your FG will end up being. 1.018 from 1.084 is 77% attenuation which is respectable.If it were to hit 1.010 that would be 87% attenuation which would be considered high. If the beer doesnt tast overly sweet, I'd bottle after taking a couple more graity readings to make sure it doesnt drop below 1.018 (which indicates it hasnt finished)

Thanks for the advice. Took another gravity and its the same. What should I do if I think it tastes too sweet though?

I would take it as it is if I were you, I've had similar issues with a Brewferm kit stopping at 1.024 and I put up with all sorts of mither getting it going again for very little further reduction in the FG. It won't taste too sweet, get it bottled and try one in about 4 weeks, it'll improve further over time as well. Problem with pitching more yeast is you're already at 8.5%+ so any yeast you put in it is probably going to die off straight away. As myqul said, your attenuation is very respectable already.

Latest posts

Back