Nottingham as a hot weather yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheers myqul, ive copy and pasted this to my 'to do' list. all i need is some magnum hops and biscuit malt. never tried this malt, shame geterbrewed don't supply it, so itl have to be hb company... for just £1!!!

CHATEAU BISCUIT (Biscuit Malt) 50 EBC 500g Crushed
Unique and very special Belgian malt. Lightly kilned, then lightly torrefied at up to 160°C. Château Biscuit® malt produces a very pronounced "toasty" finish in the beer. Imparts a warm bread and biscuit-like aroma and flavour. Promotes a light to medium warm brown colour of the mash. This malt is used to improve the roasted flavour and aroma that characterize ales and lagers lending the subtle properties of black and chocolate malts.

cheers myqul, ive copy and pasted this to my 'to do' list. all i need is some magnum hops and biscuit malt. never tried this malt, shame geterbrewed don't supply it, so itl have to be hb company... for just �£1!!!

Unique and very special Belgian malt. Lightly kilned, then lightly torrefied at up to 160°C. Château Biscuit® malt produces a very pronounced "toasty" finish in the beer. Imparts a warm bread and biscuit-like aroma and flavour. Promotes a light to medium warm brown colour of the mash. This malt is used to improve the roasted flavour and aroma that characterize ales and lagers lending the subtle properties of black and chocolate malts.

Tbh, I'm not that keen on the beer that I made. Basically because I think notty is too high attenuating and clean for a bitter. I like some body and esters in my bitters. I'm doing the exact same thing again with the notty but I'm going to make a lager hybrid with it because I think the characteristics of notty suit a lager style ale better i.e. high attenuation so less body and clean flavours with not a lot oef esters

cheers myqul, ive copy and pasted this to my 'to do' list. all i need is some magnum hops and biscuit malt. never tried this malt, shame geterbrewed don't supply it, so itl have to be hb company... for just �£1!!!

That's weird. They must have ran out or decided to stop stocking biscuit malt as that's where I bought it from. I bought another load about 3 weeks ago.

The recipe definatley works though as It's my standard bitter reciepe and I've done it with a number of different yeasts (although I often change the flavour and aroma hops depending on what I'e got in), it just doesnt seem to suit notty.

You can also use amber malt (which GEB do still sell) in place of Biscuit, if you want to go with GEB for supplie

Good old geterbrewed do amber 78p for 500g. I'm afraid to say they don't sell magnum hops😐

Just to weigh in on the OP, a few days ago I bottled four DJs with one packet on Notty split between them. They peaked when it was 24C ambient, so must have been close to 26C in the DJ. Also, they weren't in a brew fridge and, being DJs, probably had quite a bit of temp fluctuation. Three were at 1.056, one at 1.062, and all finished at 1.006. Trial jar at bottling was promising, obviously in need of a bit of conditioning but certainly the high and fluctuating temperatures haven't left any of the hallmarks of a beer that will need long conditioning. Previously US05, with a high pitching rate, was my go-to high-temp clean-profile yeast, but if the hops aren't subdued I might add Nottingham to the list.

Just to weigh in on the OP, a few days ago I bottled four DJs with one packet on Notty split between them. They peaked when it was 24C ambient, so must have been close to 26C in the DJ. Also, they weren't in a brew fridge and, being DJs, probably had quite a bit of temp fluctuation. Three were at 1.056, one at 1.062, and all finished at 1.006. Trial jar at bottling was promising, obviously in need of a bit of conditioning but certainly the high and fluctuating temperatures haven't left any of the hallmarks of a beer that will need long conditioning. Previously US05, with a high pitching rate, was my go-to high-temp clean-profile yeast, but if the hops aren't subdued I might add Nottingham to the list.

To get around subdued hops I'm going to do a hop tea and possibly a dry hop on my next go at brewing notty warm

Slightly related, someone on here suggests draping an old wet towel or similar over your FV in hot weather to lower the temperature by evaporative cooling.

A wet Tee Shirt on an old jogger has the same effect. :thumb:

Sorry for off topic post!

This is really coming together now as a beer. Being total impatient when it comes to waiting for conditiong, I'm used to tucking into my beer after about 3 days conditioning (yes you read that right, 3 days). If a beer is temp controlled, or even simply fermented a lot cooler, doing this is no problem (this is more or less standard practice for proffesional breweries but they've got glycol chillers, double walled shiny, shiny FV's and other expensive kit) but fermenting a beer at such high temps it needs time to smooth out the rough edges.
I've changed my mind again, notty seems fine for bitters, I just need to be more patient

Latest posts

Back