Grow your own hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone do/done this? Thoughts? Results?

I haven't but this week Aldi have some hop plants in, doesnt say what variety they are marketed as grow your own beer!

Went down to my local Aldi today they had one plant left but it had not been watered by the looks and was wilting so I gave it a miss. they are £4.99. You might be lucky and find some left at an Aldi near you.

Possible in a greenhouse? I've been curious about this, but I don't think the climate in where I live will allow them to grow outside. I may be wrong... I don't know enough about hops.

Possible in a greenhouse? I've been curious about this, but I don't think the climate in where I live will allow them to grow outside. I may be wrong... I don't know enough about hops.

You'd need a tall greenhouse, they grow 20 feet high outdoors. They don't mind rain and sun, but not keen on wind. A sheltered spot against the house might be worth trying. At £4.99 it's worth trying - even in Northumberland - isn't it?

My First Gold on 31 May!

20170531_093510.jpg

Bloody hell!! I hope the ladybirds are out in force soon - my hop plant is covered in greenfly. If they don't show up, anyone know the best and safest way to get rid?

Bloody hell!! I hope the ladybirds are out in force soon - my hop plant is covered in greenfly. If they don't show up, anyone know the best and safest way to get rid?
As @chrisbjones202 says, soapy water should kill greenfly and blackfly.
I have liquid soap which I dilute and use in a spraygun on my plants. If you can't get liquid soap just dissolve some bar soap in water. Two or three applications might be needed, and you may need to revisit the plants every few days to kill off any new attacks by the little beggars.

You'd need a tall greenhouse, they grow 20 feet high outdoors. They don't mind rain and sun, but not keen on wind. A sheltered spot against the house might be worth trying. At �£4.99 it's worth trying - even in Northumberland - isn't it?

The only downfall to living on the side of the North Sea is that it's always windy, but I can give it a bash for £4.99!

The only downfall to living on the side of the North Sea is that it's always windy, but I can give it a bash for ���£4.99!

Attaboy..!! Give it a go! Good luck!:thumb:

I'm not far from the North Sea myself. North wind in spring can be bad news

Last edited:
The only downfall to living on the side of the North Sea is that it's always windy, but I can give it a bash for �£4.99!

Make sure they're well-supported, growing up a west-facing wall / shelter from the wind off the sea and you might be pleasantly surprised with what you get. Barnsley is not a million miles from you and is not known for having a Mediterranean climate but mine generally do very well indeed.

I have quite a sun trap outside the back door, sheltered and west facing. I'll give it a shot!

Though hops aren't traditionally grown on a trellis, would one work well to support the growth?

I have quite a sun trap outside the back door, sheltered and west facing. I'll give it a shot!

Though hops aren't traditionally grown on a trellis, would one work well to support the growth?
Yep...don't see why not. 1st year it'll not do much, grow 4 to 6 feet maybe. 2nd year 6 - 10 feet. 3rd ..? Well...you might be surprised. By 5th yr you're looking at the full 20 feet.

Up the house wall, on a 21 foot trellis, sounds favourite :thumb:

There's quiet a few different types for sale on the the bay. Any recommendations .its got to be worth a go.
Andy.

Took a few cuttings from wild hops growing near our house,one is just about hanging on in there!.No idea what they would be but a couple of us did brew beer last year with hops gathered from said hop plants.

Yep...don't see why not. 1st year it'll not do much, grow 4 to 6 feet maybe. 2nd year 6 - 10 feet. 3rd ..? Well...you might be surprised. By 5th yr you're looking at the full 20 feet.

Up the house wall, on a 21 foot trellis, sounds favourite :thumb:

I have to convince the other half first.

Latest posts

Back