New to the forum & new to homebrewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stvey1987

Reaction score
Hello all.

New homebrewer from Stoke on Trent here! I've just started homebrewing, simple beerkit - Young's american amber ale. I'm planning on doing one or two beerkits then moving on to more interesting brewing with malt extract, get myself a copper... Maybe move on to full grain brewing eventually but not sure yet on that.

Are there any other stoke based brewers on here ??

Also, I have a few questions about this first brew I'm doing...

1) Instructions reckon fermentation will be complete within 10 days, my bubbler indicated it was pretty much done within 4 days (plus SG almost down at the expected final gravity) so I threw the hops in as instructed to do towards end of the fermentation. I think that perhaps the fermentation was done quickly as it has been pretty warm (21-23C) but what worried me was the smell of the beer , not exactly appealing! I think it was best described as cidery! Ater a bit of research I think I might have cracked open the beer a bit too early and there might be quite a bit of acetaldehyde still in there, sound plausible? Solution seems to be to give the beer more time and the yeast should sort it out?

2) Bottling/ kegging - I want to bottle some of my beer and keep the rest in the pressure barrel. What would you suggest the best way to do this will be? I was thinking of siphoning all the beer into the keg and mixing all the sugar for secondary fermentation into it and then bottling what I want (10-15 probably) after doing this?

Sorry for the long waffle!

cheers,

Stephen

Hello all.

New homebrewer from Stoke on Trent here! I've just started homebrewing, simple beerkit - Young's american amber ale. I'm planning on doing one or two beerkits then moving on to more interesting brewing with malt extract, get myself a copper... Maybe move on to full grain brewing eventually but not sure yet on that.

Are there any other stoke based brewers on here ??

Also, I have a few questions about this first brew I'm doing...

1) Instructions reckon fermentation will be complete within 10 days, my bubbler indicated it was pretty much done within 4 days (plus SG almost down at the expected final gravity) so I threw the hops in as instructed to do towards end of the fermentation. I think that perhaps the fermentation was done quickly as it has been pretty warm (21-23C) but what worried me was the smell of the beer , not exactly appealing! I think it was best described as cidery! Ater a bit of research I think I might have cracked open the beer a bit too early and there might be quite a bit of acetaldehyde still in there, sound plausible? Solution seems to be to give the beer more time and the yeast should sort it out?

2) Bottling/ kegging - I want to bottle some of my beer and keep the rest in the pressure barrel. What would you suggest the best way to do this will be? I was thinking of siphoning all the beer into the keg and mixing all the sugar for secondary fermentation into it and then bottling what I want (10-15 probably) after doing this?

Sorry for the long waffle!

cheers,

Stephen
Take no notice of kit instructions as they are a guide only,2+2+2 is the golden rule,2 weeks fermenting,2 weeks packaged somewhere warm to carbonate 2 final weeks conditioning before drinking and yes it will be cidery straight after fermenting as its still raw,bottling/kegging I tend to keg and then bottle the excess carbing separately

Welcome Stvey, As Godsdog says, forget kit instructions, 2+2+2 works. And point 2): Sounds like a way to do it. Put the lot in keg with secondry sugar/DME/etc... mix it and bottle straight away. Keeping the lot somewhere 18 - 20ish deg C for 2 weeks.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back