Bbq

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigd2657

Reaction score
Hi all,

As it is coming hot this weekend now is the time to go and get a BBQ.

Im a little undecided whether to go and get a gas bbq or a charcoal BBQ .

So I thought I would put it out to the members of the forum for a bit of a discussion.

cheers

Big D

Prefer charcoal for taste but own a gas one simply for the convenience, no need to wait about and can control the temp easier

I got a great big jamie oliver gas jobby a few years ago...it was supposed to be £500 plus but got it in a sale for about £170. It's been great to be fair,it's a bit gas hungry but I do use it all year round usually currying something as the Mrs goes bananas at the smell indoors! I got a cast iron plate for it..should have got 2! Great for burgers. It's had its yearly scrape and the huge drip tray, which I line with foil and fill with sand,saves a lot of bother.
I like charcoal but because it's used so often gas is much easier.

charcoal is a bbq, gas is an outdoor oven :lol:

Just don't get one of that latest trend of barrel looking bbq's, I did when mine rusted through, and they are ****e as you can't raise and lower the grill height from the coals as they cool.

Charcoal all day long.
Tesco direct are doing a 1/2 barrel bbq £39.99(£49.99 instore),just put one together and looks to be pretty good,includes a decent cover as well:thumb:

Charcoal all the way, but get a chimney/starter thingy (helpful description, eh? :lol:)
this https://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-bbq-fire-starting-chimney/238-1800.prd?source=others type thing

A couple of firelighters underneath briquettes or lumpwood and in 15-20 mins you have a nice load of fully burning coal. I need a new one as mine has given up the ghost after being abused for several years (chucked on the BBQ to light the next batch - set fire to the handle, melted rivets etc :doh:). But you'll never go back to "instant lighting" after trying it.

Charcoal every time.

Also, get a bag of hardwood kindling from the Tesco Garage and throw a couple of sticks on the burning charcoal before starting to cook.

I reckon that the smoke from the sticks gives the BBQ meat a better flavour; but it's not to everyone's taste! :whistle:

Prefer charcoal for taste but own a gas one simply for the convenience, no need to wait about and can control the temp easier

Same here. Do miss the charcoal though, did enjoy getting it lit etc. Just the time waiting for them to go grey, but then drinking beer whilst waiting wasn't so bad [emoji23]

I have a half empty gallon can of Waxoyl in my garage which hadn't been used for years and I nearly recently chucked out. (For those under 35, Waxoyl is/was a wax dissolved in white spirit and used by DIYers for rustproofing cars in the olden days). No firelighters last night for the BBQ so I thought I'll try some. An eggcupfull dolloped all over the charcoal, lit it and whoosh and within 5 mins the charcoal was going well. Brilliant. Far better than anything else for lighting BBQs :thumb:

I have a half empty gallon can of Waxoyl in my garage which hadn't been used for years and I nearly recently chucked out. (For those under 35, Waxoyl is/was a wax dissolved in white spirit and used by DIYers for rustproofing cars in the olden days). No firelighters last night for the BBQ so I thought I'll try some. An eggcupfull dolloped all over the charcoal, lit it and whoosh and within 5 mins the charcoal was going well. Brilliant. Far better than anything else for lighting BBQs :thumb:

I dread to think how many carcinogenic particles were generated by the combustion of Waxol and then deposited on the food!

Personally, when smoking food I don't use briquettes because I'm not too sure what they use to bind the particles of charcoal together and I also make sure that any wood I am using wasn't sawn using a chainsaw which deposits a film of oil on the chain as it cuts.

I know it's very much OTT, especially as I am using a method of cooking that means I am virtually creosoting my food ... :doh: :doh:

... but after a lifetime of smoking I now try to minimise the available carcinogens! :whistle:

I dread to think how many carcinogenic particles were generated by the combustion of Waxol and then deposited on the food!

Personally, when smoking food I don't use briquettes because I'm not too sure what they use to bind the particles of charcoal together and I also make sure that any wood I am using wasn't sawn using a chainsaw which deposits a film of oil on the chain as it cuts.

I know it's very much OTT, especially as I am using a method of cooking that means I am virtually creosoting my food ... :doh: :doh:

... but after a lifetime of smoking I now try to minimise the available carcinogens! :whistle:

Blimey - that's thorough ! What do you use to light the fire then ? Rubbing sticks ha ha ? :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funnily enough I was out of firelighters today. No Waxoyl, but I did have a can of isopropyl alcohol. Singed the hairs off my hands, but it did work a treat.

10 mins and she will be ready to cook. Canny beat it

14978069050622031669105.jpg

Latest posts

Back