Hod's bottle swap's

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottle swap with @strange_steve

Imperial Stout 9.5% - bottled circa march 2015

Wow just wow!!!

This I can only start to describe as hardcore heavy liquorice that slips down your throat like silk.

With a kilo of choc malt in the bill this beer is mega dark malty goodness. With a head darker than the thoughts I have while watching women's volley ball, it's odd to start with, but as you sip your way through it you find yourself going back for more.

The best part of two years it's had in the bottle means the alcohol has mellowed into a lovely warming quality that is equaled bitterness from NB and EKG (86 IBU's)

Personally I think I would back the choc malt off and balance the roasted flavours out with 120 and 60 crystal. But that's just me. And it's takes 30 months to find that out. Easy right??

The photo does not do this beer justice. I feel honoured to be drinking a beer that's been aged since 2015.

Don't get me wrong I don't think I could drink more than one of these in one session. And I can feel the alcohol already 'hic'

This would be a perfect "end" to an evening in a 330ml bottle. Maybe 500ml is too much.

I think I will drink on and find out [emoji6]

Thanks Steve for letting me try one of your prized possessions.

0c4405014a5c4658a8d20ceb15e452b1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bottle swap with @strange_steve

Imperial Stout 9.5% - bottled circa march 2015

Wow just wow!!!

This I can only start to describe as hardcore heavy liquorice that slips down your throat like silk.

With a kilo of choc malt in the bill this beer is mega dark malty goodness. With a head darker than the thoughts I have while watching women's volley ball, it's odd to start with, but as you sip your way through it you find yourself going back for more.

The best part of two years it's had in the bottle means the alcohol has mellowed into a lovely warming quality that is equaled bitterness from NB and EKG (86 IBU's)

Personally I think I would back the choc malt off and balance the roasted flavours out with 120 and 60 crystal. But that's just me. And it's takes 30 months to find that out. Easy right??

The photo does not do this beer justice. I feel honoured to be drinking a beer that's been aged since 2015.

Don't get me wrong I don't think I could drink more than one of these in one session. And I can feel the alcohol already 'hic'

This would be a perfect "end" to an evening in a 330ml bottle. Maybe 500ml is too much.

I think I will drink on and find out [emoji6]

Thanks Steve for letting me try one of your prized possessions.

Hi Hoddy,
Sorry for the delay in replying but thanks for the review. I haven't actually tried one of these for a while so was interested to hear your thoughts on it.

This was brewed for a competition last year (scored a reasonable 36 iirc) and when I was researching the style I read that bigger is better for competitions. So this was a conscious attempt at making everything ott, with over a kilo of chocolate, 850g roasted barley and 300g of hops.

You're right about the bottle size, unfortunately I ran out of 330mls when I was bottling this, and a pint is a lot to get through of such a heavy beer.

Has your beer from me arrived this week @leon103 ?

Sorry it arrived Thursday and I put it in the fridge to drink last night but was unwell. Now spending the night in hospital so not sure when I will drink it, but it will be my first bottle. I will send a bottle back when I get out.

Sorry it arrived Thursday and I put it in the fridge to drink last night but was unwell. Now spending the night in hospital so not sure when I will drink it, but it will be my first bottle. I will send a bottle back when I get out.

Jesus Christ dude wtf happened?

Jesus Christ dude wtf happened?

I suffer with heart disease and yesterday and this morning I felt a bit unwell and being paranoid I came to a&e to get checked. I think it's all ok and probably a virus but being kept in overnight to see the consultant in the morning

Finally got round to drink @hoddy El-dorado/Rakau Pale tonight. I have been off beer all week but this has put me back on track.

Great head and laced all the way to the end. Loads of carbonation which you want with the style.

Poured a bit hazy, not sure if it was the yeast or addition of oats or wheat. I guessed you used leaf hops, found a few bits in the pint but it is homebrew after all.

Aroma and taste was lovely. Hints of pear, I could taste watermelon, especially in the after taste and some pine??

A dry finish and just the right amount of bitterness. Lovely drop, thanks once again. My bottle went out yesterday.

I was lucky enough to get one of @Leon103 black IPAs.

This is my review.

A real good solid carbonation from the bottle. It poured lovely with a really good head that stayed all the way down the glass. Although it didn't last long.

You really could not tell it was 7.2% as the bitterness, roasty flavours, and hop profiles blended absolutely perfectly. Seriously this has to be one of the best black/dark beers I have ever tasted. Just stunning. And I motored my way through the glass without even realising it.

The hop profile was awesome. I think using the Vermont yeast in this dark beer was a brilliant idea. And I've been meaning to try this myself for ages. Now you've confirmed this is something I HAVE to do.

Just an awesome beer and if entered into any of the HBF competitions it would be winning all the way.

Waw thanks pal. Glad you enjoyed it. I think black iPas have become my new favourite style. Bit like a stout, and a bit like a hoppy IPA.

Waw thanks pal. Glad you enjoyed it. I think black iPas have become my new favourite style. Bit like a stout, and a bit like a hoppy IPA.

What were the mash steps and temps you used for this? And what was the water adjustments and profile you used? I also assume you used the standard yeast bay Vermont fermentation temp regime?

What were the mash steps and temps you used for this? And what was the water adjustments and profile you used? I also assume you used the standard yeast bay Vermont fermentation temp regime?

I will check my notes tomorrow and let you know.

I do biab. Mashed at 66c for an hour. Mash out at 72c raising to 75c for 15 minutes.

No changes to my delightful welsh water.

Fermented at 19c. I would also add that the yeast it second generation. Which I think they say is better.

I do biab. Mashed at 66c for an hour. Mash out at 72c raising to 75c for 15 minutes.

No changes to my delightful welsh water.

Fermented at 19c. I would also add that the yeast it second generation. Which I think they say is better.

That's really useful mate. Thanks [emoji1303]

Back