Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Discussion > Help! Wild yeast?

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 30-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #21
Sadfield

Liked 370 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Firstly I'd advise not putting anything into Secondary fermentation when fault finding as it just adds another element of risk, variable to consider. A beer will be fine in primary for weeks.

Silly question, but did you dry hop with pellets? If not I'd be inclined to view anything green floating on top, as mould. In your original post, you mentioned cleaning with water only, so it might be a good idea to describe your cleaning/sanitation regime and the area where you ferment your beer.

Old 30-10-2017, 07:06 PM   #22
johnnyboy1965

Liked 406 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeyboi View Post
It is undrinkable, and it did not improve the last time this happened. I haven't said I was chucking it, I am trying to work out what the cause is as it has happened to another brew in my brew fridge. Please read the original post.

Thanks

Jake
How do you know thats its undrinkable, out of a FV?
Quote "Pope Sixtus 1V to Michealango"..What the **** are you doing painting that **** on my ceiling...........Only time will tell
GerritT Likes This 
Old 30-10-2017, 07:27 PM   #23
Jakeyboi

Liked 91 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadfield View Post
Firstly I'd advise not putting anything into Secondary fermentation when fault finding as it just adds another element of risk, variable to consider. A beer will be fine in primary for weeks.

Silly question, but did you dry hop with pellets? If not I'd be inclined to view anything green floating on top, as mould. In your original post, you mentioned cleaning with water only, so it might be a good idea to describe your cleaning/sanitation regime and the area where you ferment your beer.
No, after two weeks I was about to dry hop when I smelt the medicine smell. I knew from my previous exp it would be a waste of hops.

Usually after a brew I rinse out the trub, then soak in 60C water and scrub clean with a cloth. If I am brewing again I will then star san and brew. If not I will wash again before use. I did that for about 18 months. I did buy a tub of VWP and have started to add a teaspoon of it to the hot water when I clean. Followed by 3 or so cold water rinse's. I did this between my last two brews, they have both have this medicine taste which is quite strong and over powering. The older brew which is now in the secondary is the one in the latest picture. There is a two week IPA in the brew fridge with the same medicine smell and taste. It isn't a strong as this one......yet. I brew in the kitchen (not the best place I know). We don't use bleach's or very aggressive cleaning agents in our house.

Old 30-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #24
darrellm

Liked 466 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 48

It sounds to me like your FV is infected. Infections can resist a lot of cleaning / sanitisation, I've been through a bad period of consecutive infected brews, 6 months in fact, and I nearly gave up brewing.

First, you're not using nearly enough VWP: you need 4 teaspoons in about 20L of water, not 1. And leave it to soak. But that alone might not get rid of it, you probably need a good bleaching followed by a good rinse. Maybe even chuck the FV and just get another.

These days, I use VWP for a minimum of 1 hour in the FV, followed by a good rise, followed by a kettle full of just-boiled water down the insides for good measure. Haven't had any infections since, the last one was 2 years ago now.

Old 30-10-2017, 10:13 PM   #25
Sadfield

Liked 370 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Hard to judge from a single photo, although it doesn't really have the look of your typical wild yeast infection pellicle. Either way, if it is wild yeast or mould, as darrellm has pointed out, your cleaning regime probably isn't sufficient enough to remove yeast or mould spores. I would get busy with the VWP and/or bleach on your FVs, racking tubes, and also the inside of your fermentation fridge and its door seals. If it solves the problem, great, if it doesn't then you know what it isn't.

Note. If using bleach, use the cheap thin, unscented bleach. Rinse, then fill fv with water and add a Campden tablet to remove any residual chlorine.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:54 PM   #26
Jakeyboi

Liked 91 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Update: I bought a brand new bucket last week, I bleached my spoon hydrometer and thermometer and put my last kit together St. Peter's Ruby red. I just popped the lid as it has now been fermenting for a week, and it smells great! The last brew had that horrible medicine smell after a week so fingers crossed the problem is linked to something dodgy in the other fermenters. If it's still good by Saturday, I shall be throwing my old fermenters, bleaching all my equipment and kegs and brewing my last two hbc full extract kits.