First time lager kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regishaunus

Reaction score
Ok so I’m going to do my first Lager kit, I’m normally an ale drinker but like a lager during the warmer weather. I figure if I get it on to ferment in the next week or so it should be well ready for spring/summer. I’m looking at kegging it in a king keg (will this provide enough pressure) so
What’s a good kit to go for?

The Betterbrew Czech Pilsner or Export Lagers are good kits. The lighter lager kits, Blondes you can hop bomb with hop tea, dry hop or both. The Coopers European Lager will come with a lager yeast and you'll probably need temp control though we are getting to the time of year when the temperature outside will work. Have a read through the beer kit reviews that'll give the best chance of tracking one down that you like.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61597

Ok so I’m going to do my first Lager kit, I’m normally an ale drinker but like a lager during the warmer weather. I figure if I get it on to ferment in the next week or so it should be well ready for spring/summer. I’m looking at kegging it in a king keg (will this provide enough pressure) so
What’s a good kit to go for?

Coopers Lager is decent for a kit, or Beerworks do a few,all good,
I dryhopped my Coopers Euro Lager with 100g of Falconers Flight and it ended up tremendous.
Good luck 👍

+1 on @LarryF suggestion to look through the kit reviews.
Note that many lager kits come with an ale yeast.
Typically Coopers Lager or Original Lager comes with an ale yeast and so can be fermented around 20*C.
However Coopers Euro Lager comes with a lager yeast (as does their 86 Day Pilsner) but if you ferment at low temperatures it is probably advisable to supplement the 7g kit yeast with more lager yeast. Coopers recipes suggest using W-34/70. You might be OK without the extra yeast, but on the other hand it may stall at the low temperatures, like mine did. The alternative is to ferment with the kit yeast at around 20*C as the kit instructions suggest.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61597

I've done a Cooper's European lager, fermented cold (around 12 degrees) with the standard yeast. Came out well, but for the sake of a packet of additional dry lager yeast, I wouldn't risk it and would add an additional dry yeast. Oh, and I'd bottle it as King Kegs can't really carb up to lager fizziness.

Latest posts

Back