Courage Directors

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If its any consolation i am into my 4th week with the same brew and around the same stage as you.

Day 11.
OG 1016 or 1015 can't quite tell. One or two bubbles still rising.

Should be on target for barrelling on day 14.

Heating pad still permanently on this time of year,
I've had the "AND HOW MUCH ELECTRICITY IS THAT USING?"
Oh not much dear (I hope).

Still drinking shop bought cans beer at the moment.
Looking forward to a continuous supply of my own beers.
Still got to be a bit strict with myself thou' and only drink at weekends (mostly).

Heating pad still permanently on this time of year,
I've had the "AND HOW MUCH ELECTRICITY IS THAT USING?"
Oh not much dear (I hope).
If your heat mat is 25w and is on for most of the day, it will be consume about 0.5 kw-hr per day, which, if you buy at say 20p per kw-hr, will cost you about 10p per day i.e naff all. So now you can go back with an authoritative answer and then, if challenged, say it's about 100 times less than a hairdryer :wink:

If your heat mat is 25w and is on for most of the day, it will be consume about 0.5 kw-hr per day, which, if you buy at say 20p per kw-hr, will cost you about 10p per day i.e naff all. So now you can go back with an authoritative answer and then, if challenged, say it's about 100 times less than a hairdryer :wink:

Thanks for that.
I think my Dreamland heating Pad is 50w.
So about 20p per day - can't complain at that.
Not sure I'm brave enough to come out with authoritative answers thou'.
Perhaps with some home brew in my veins for Dutch courage.

Paul.

Oh, Why is that then,
Are you fermenting in a cold area?
Yes it can drop down a bit where i have to have my fermenting bucket. I have no real means of being able to control the temperature. I still seem to get stuff thats drinkable though eventually.

Well you did warn me about my Balliihoo PB and losing pressure terrym. the brew has been in the PB for 2 weeks now and I have been checking the pressure of the barrel with a reliable tyre pressure gauge.
It is now down to almost nothing. I've not been drinking it at all - so lose of pressure is either a leak or is it the gas re-desolving back into the beer since I've moved it somewhere cooler ? This is first time use for PB.
I have noticed I can move the tap on it's fixing if I grab it and apply not too much force. Obviously not tight enough before adding brew!
Still, the beer does come out of the tap if turned on.
I have added some extra pressure with my CO2 cyl up to about 8psi and will continue to monitor pressure.
The only other option I can think of is whip the top off, re-tighten the tap, put top back on and re-pressure with CO2 but I'm a
bit reluctant in case I ruin the whole batch.

Any thoughts?

Paul

Well you did warn me about my Balliihoo PB and losing pressure terrym. the brew has been in the PB for 2 weeks now and I have been checking the pressure of the barrel with a reliable tyre pressure gauge.
It is now down to almost nothing. I've not been drinking it at all - so lose of pressure is either a leak or is it the gas re-desolving back into the beer since I've moved it somewhere cooler ? This is first time use for PB.
I have noticed I can move the tap on it's fixing if I grab it and apply not too much force. Obviously not tight enough before adding brew!
Still, the beer does come out of the tap if turned on.
I have added some extra pressure with my CO2 cyl up to about 8psi and will continue to monitor pressure.
The only other option I can think of is whip the top off, re-tighten the tap, put top back on and re-pressure with CO2 but I'm a
bit reluctant in case I ruin the whole batch.

Any thoughts?

Paul
Tbh mate,that sounds a bit of a nightmare,why don’t you bottle?

Ok quick update,
Re checked the pressure after about 1 hour and had dropped from 8psi to 5psi!
So I decided to whip off the top re-tighten the tap, put it all back together quick as a flash and pressurise to 10psi
If this doesn't work there might be some home brew equipment going secondhand soon.

More than a little bit disappointed.
But, if it was the tap then I only have myself to blame.

Oh and this directors kit is still cloudy, should that be the case after resting in the barrel for 2 weeks?

Paul

I've had to tighten the tap on my king kegs occasionally, I just sanitise my hands first, never had any problems.

If it's a top tap, draw some off and it should run brighter, if it's a bottom tap it will take longer to clear as its got to clear all the way down.

It's been a while since I've brewed a kit, but some of them seemed to take forever to clear and condition.

If the leak is still there, it's worth putting Vaseline around all the seals and threads, this will make it airtight.

Thanks for that jeg3.
I think (hope) I may have fixed it.
Following tightening the tap it 'appears' to be holding pressure.
Also thanks for the info on kits possibly taking an age to clear. I have a top tap.

Paul

Hi Paul, How is the PB going, only asking as I have just put a brew into a Balihoo PB on Sunday. That evening the PSI was 4.3, yesterday it was 5.5 and today it's 4 psi. It's the bottom tap version, I put a tissue around the tap and there's no beer leaking. I I've checked it a few times now and just wondered if it's because I am letting pressure out every time I check it. My other barrel is a normal King keg with no gauge so have no way of checking, which is probably better as I am not obsessing over psi reading, and that beer was fine.

Hello Bobzee,
I returned a PB back to Ballihoo in Jan this year after the bottom ballooned out and they exchanged it for another.
The same thing happened will that one and when I went back again they said well no longer offer the Ballihoo Premium
barrel and swapped it for a king keg (again top tap) and also changed the rubber in the relief valve. I think that was part
of the prob. cos. it got to 15 PSI. (Good job I only live about 12 miles from Ballihoo's shop).
I have also brought a further King Keg Top Tap from another Homebrew shop - cheaper than Ballihoo but no pressure
valve, I am in the process of sourcing A suitable schrader valve for the lid because I think it's useful to monitor pressure.
The King Kegs have a lot more robust feel to them and are a lot heavier than Ballihoo Premium Barrels.
So I now have 2 King and one Ballihoo on which I monitor the pressure about 3 times a day during the first week of
secondary. I suppose I could let it fail like the other 2 and get it exchanged for another King while still under warranty
but I'll just keep my eye on it.
Regarding your pressure prob. Is your cap lid tightened about right? I smear some homebrew seal lube on said seal,
tighten as much as poss. by hand and then just a tad more will a cap spanner ( really just a tad)!
I had a prob with my top tap not being tight enough of one of my brews, even though the nut on the back seemed tight
I was told you have to tighten the nut with the tap at the 10 o'clock position then straighten up the tap without the back
nut moving.
I am still a relative novice to homebrew and many people on this site are way more experienced that me in brewing and problems arising from. They may have more to offer with your pressure prob.

Currently drinking Festival Summer Glory and I give 10 out of 10 for flavour (well it appeals to me).
Have almost ready Brewbarrel Oktoberfest which I'm looking forward to.

Paul

Brewbarrel Oktoberfest ........Some price for 5l

go on the coopers site get the recipe for marzen, leave till October before drinking ....23l for about £22 :)

lazy boy brew technique
sanitize everything

boil kettle pour into bin
empty contents of tins into bin
boil another kettle rinse out tins
fill to 4 gallon with cold water and add yeast
top to 5 gallon
leave for 14 days bottle any time after that in plastic 1 and a bit teaspoons per liter

leave , enjoy

Hi Paulyr,

How did your Directors turn out as I am brewing this one for the first time, what did you reading drop to when it had completed stage 1?

Regards Parpot

The Directors has been my favourite beer I have brewed to date. Almost as good as pub bought. If memory serves final gravity was 1.014 - retained a certain sweetness. Will try dry hopping my next one for even more aroma. I didn't follow the included instructions I went straight from bucket to barrel. I note that Directors is made by Muntons will try other beers by them possibly oaked ale next.

Back