Advice for my mate, haveI missed anything, Any suggestions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derbyowl

Reaction score
Making Up Beer Kits:
1. Make sure the bucket is clean, I bleach the bucket overnight to make sure.
2. Put the two tins in warm water for 5 mins to loosen up the contents to make it easier to pour out of the tin.
3. Empty the contents of the two tins into the bucket.
4. Put 3.5 litres about 2 jug kettles full of boiling water in the bucket.
5. Stir well to help dissolve the kit
6. Top the bucket up with cold water to the 5 gallon level
7. Sprinkle the yeast on the liquid
8. Put the lid on.
9. Put a piece of paper on top of the lid showing what kit it is and the date it was put in’t bucket
10. Put in a Warm Place and cover with a blanket
11. Leave for a couple of weeks, the instructions say 8-10 days but I find that leaving for longer solves the problem of not fermenting at a controlled temperature.
12. Rinse out 12 x 2 Litre pop bottles.
13. Put 2 teaspoons of sugar in each bottle.
14. Using the tap ( and a funnel ) pour the beer into the bottles. Do not turn the tap full on.I tend to pour about 1 litre into a bottle and then fill it up when the froth has gone down ( You will see what I mean when you try to do this )
15. Label the bottles ( I use computer labels , cheap!), With the type of beer and the date bottled.
16. Place the bottles in a warm , dark place for about two weeks
17. Transfer the bottles into a cool dark place
18. The beer is now ready to drink but will improve substantially the longer you leave it ( But drink it within 18 months, it does not last forever )
19. When pouring the beer always remember to decant into a jug first and then pour into a glass, this helps remove unwanted sediment from your drink.
20. Don’t forget to save some for me ;o

A good guide I think we'll refer kit brewerd to this post :thumb:

Point 10. Not too warm maximum of 22c ideally 18 or 19c

Wez said:
A good guide I think we'll refer kit brewerd to this post :thumb:

Point 10. Not too warm maximum of 22c ideally 18 or 19c

Thanks for the compliment Wez, the entire idea was to get ideas I did not realise about point 10. My bucket goes on the top of the central heating boiler in our house! When you say no more than 22 do you mean average or must never go above that number

Never above - you "could" get off flavours - not worth the risk :thumb:

I keep mine at 20 til it kicks off and then drop to 17 till she's cooked. The temperature stated as the ideal working conditions for the yeast are actually wort temperature and not air temperature. The working yeast generate a couple of degrees in the wort leaving the wort a couple of degrees warmer than the ambient temperature. Just something you should take into consideration when fermenting. It's really easy to hook up a light bulb to a room thermostat and leave it in a spare press, my beer has come on quite a bit since i controlled the fermenting temperature ;)

A T said:
I keep mine at 20 til it kicks off and then drop to 17 till she's cooked. The temperature stated as the ideal working conditions for the yeast are actually wort temperature and not air temperature. The working yeast generate a couple of degrees in the wort leaving the wort a couple of degrees warmer than the ambient temperature. Just something you should take into consideration when fermenting. It's really easy to hook up a light bulb to a room thermostat and leave it in a spare press, my beer has come on quite a bit since i controlled the fermenting temperature ;)

This sounds good stuff . But how practicaly in a modern centrally heated house do you do this. I have no idea what the exact temperature of my house is. ( Its set for around 21 deg).

You just have to find the places in your house that hold the temperature in that range the best, investing a few quid in a max/min recording thermometer is a good idea. Really you want to be watching out for it not getting too warm, where I ferment mine for most of the day they sit at 20c but it drops to 16 at night, the yeasties don't seem to mind the dip in temp too much and I get beer fermenting out totally in 3 days sometimes. :thumb:

derbyowl said:
Making Up Beer Kits:
1. Make sure the bucket is clean, I bleach the bucket overnight to make sure.
1a Make sure it is well rinsed after bleaching
2. Put the two tins in warm water for 5 mins to loosen up the contents to make it easier to pour out of the tin.
3. Empty the contents of the two tins into the bucket.
4. Put 3.5 litres about 2 jug kettles full of boiling water in the bucket.
4a Use some of the hot water to rinse out the tins
5. Stir well to help dissolve the kit
6. Top the bucket up with cold water to the 5 gallon level
6a If at all possible use de chlorinated water where possible
7. Sprinkle the yeast on the liquid
8. Put the lid on.
9. Put a piece of paper on top of the lid showing what kit it is and the date it was put in’t bucket
10. Put in a Warm Place and cover with a blanket
11. Leave for a couple of weeks, the instructions say 8-10 days but I find that leaving for longer solves the problem of not fermenting at a controlled temperature.
12. clean sanitise and Rinse out 12 x 2 Litre pop bottles.
13. Put 2 teaspoons of sugar in each bottle.
14. Using the tap ( and a funnel ) pour the beer into the bottles. Do not turn the tap full on.I tend to pour about 1 litre into a bottle and then fill it up when the froth has gone down ( You will see what I mean when you try to do this )
15. Label the bottles ( I use computer labels , cheap!), With the type of beer and the date bottled.
16. Place the bottles in a warm , dark place for about two weeks
17. Transfer the bottles into a cool dark place
18. The beer is now ready to drink but will improve substantially the longer you leave it ( But drink it within 18 months, it does not last forever )
19. When pouring the beer always remember to decant into a jug first and then pour into a glass, this helps remove unwanted sediment from your drink.
20. Don’t forget to save some for me ;o
A bit pedantic of me :ugeek: but this will give the best possible results :ugeek:

Latest posts

Back