Berliner Weiss

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A true ag berliner is ive read hard to get right , not too keen on the overly tart weiss biers and low ish av but if you want an AG recipe i have 1 , 1032 IBU 6 top fermenting german yeast like kolsch or alt yeast needed not a weizen also some lactobacillus (lactic acid bacteria) pitched with yeast

Seen a few recipes, although I might up the ABV to the early 40s myself. Wouldn't mind a look at the ones you have if that's ok?

I have a vial of WLP630, the cheat's way out although all reports say it will take about six months to get the tart character this way. Not a problem.

Just need to find some hazard tape to mark off an FV and a cornie. Only for use with lacto! :lol:

I'm giving one a go as my next brew, not finalised a recipe yet but something like

1/3 unmalted wheat
2/3 pilsner

Cereal mash then aim for 1.036, about 10 IBU of random hops and a short boil (say 15 minutes).

Ferment with WLP630 at 21C.

I'll probably split the batch and add some fruit to some of it, mainly because Festina Peche is really rather good.

Would go for wheat malt rather than unmalted wheat. That's what all the info points to.

Also seen stuff about doing one decoction to help DMS problems with the short boil. Haven't looked deeply into it yet but I suspect I won't bother. Not sure it will really present a problem.
(info is american so pinch of salt needed... although add coriander too and that would make it goze ;) )

Back