Wild yeast infections?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve963

Reaction score
The beer im making seems to keep going off, it starts of tasting nice in the first week of kegging, then progressively get worse over the next 5 weeks or so, its still carbed and has nice head just i dont like the taste, seems to be the same taste regardless of the style (although all on the pale ish hoppy side)

Just wondering if im getting wild yeast infections as brew in cellar, while cooling wort and putting in fermenter

I left unfermented wort in trial jar and after 2 days its fermenting away fiercely with something!

Bleached eveything to try to stop this

What is the taste? Sour, medicinal, vinegary, like cardboard and stale? Do you pressurise your keg? What are you brewing Kits or extract/AG.?

AG

not vinegar or medicinal
not cardboard or stale i dont think (athought maybe)
cant really describe the taste, think i need somebody to taste it.

its not sweet citra hop taste i wanted though, do keep it pressured in keg, tastes same from bottles though

I do tip the warm wort into the boiler before boiling and ket a lot of air into it here but I read shouldnt matter at this stage

i think we have your problem , you should be brewing most things around 18c , some belgian and german beers do require higher temps while other require lower , try your next batch at 18c p.s what have you been brewing so far

pale ales with load of hops, will try lower next time, think ive done 18deg before. remember it took ages to start fermenting! like 2 days!

a longer fermentation is often better , to increase your start time re hydrate the yeast if dried yeast used , always buy a quality yeast too , its all about yeasts with beers , if you go for a liquid yeast (white labs ) you will also have a large improvement is your brew

im using S04 dried, in orginal packaging, so should be good enough

just want something like the a citra pale ale, this started off just like this (but obviously sweet due to priming sugar). but has since got worse and the hoppy taste is gone.

usually my fermentation starts off quick and krausen lasts about 4 days then drops

nothing wrong with yeast but you should try a liquid , see the diff and id def ferment at around 18c and also best in bottles ,

Latest posts

Back