Recipe Suggestions. And some other advice please!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic_P

Reaction score
Hi All
I am looking to get a brew done today or tomorrow. I was after some suggestions on an extract recipe using some ingredients that I have. Any style of beer will do.
I have:-
2Kg Light Spraymalt
1Kg Medium Spraymalt
260g Crystal Malt
EKG AA4.6% 66g
Goldings AA?? 90g (Youngs from LHBS)
Fuggles AA?? (Youngs again)
Bramling Cross AA5.8% 100g
Bobek AA5.2%
Nottingham, Windsor and S-04
I was also looking to do a smaller boil say 6L as per some extract kit recipes and top up to 23L with cold water as i do not have an IC yet. (I chilled my last one with iced water in a large bin, which was effective but a PITA.) How would I calculate the the difference in hop utilisation doing a 60 min boil with 6L?
As always any help and advice greatly appreciated.
:cheers: Nic

I've been messing around with some recipe calculators, the forum one, Beer smith and Beer engine.

My recipe:

Spraymalt Light 2000g
Spraymalt Medium 1000g
Crystal Malt 100g
Goldings EK 50g 4.6% 60 min
Bramling Cross 30g 5.8% 30 min
Bramling Cross 20g 5.8% 30 min Steep

Beer Engine and Beersmith seem to agree on expected abv about 4.7% Forum about 4.1%
All agree EBU's about 39
The colour however differs alot. Beer Engine has Medium spraymalt as an ingredient, forum and Beersmith I have used Amber spraymalt
Beer Engine says 28 EBC which I think is about 14 SRM
Forum says 9.6 SRM
Beersmith 11.3 SRM
I know that these are estimations but seems to be quite a bit of variation. Do I take the middle and up my crystal malt for some added colour? (I wanted around 14 SRM)
Also can I have comments on the recipe/hop choice as I have never used Bramling Cross before.
Sorry for long post.
:cheers: Nic

Recipe looks good, Bramling Cross are a nice hop, you should get some Blackcurrant flavour from them.

Personally i'd go with the avg on the SRM.

Thanks Wez :thumb:
I've upped the Crystal to 260g which should give a colour of about 12 SRM
I am also going to reduce the length to 21L.
Think I will give it a bash tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back