PUMPKIN WINE

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corby_brewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
With Halloween fast approaching no doubt the super markets will be selling the pumpkins off cheep so I was wondering if this would work.

1 Gallon batch

5 lbs grated pumpkin flesh
3-1/4 lbs sugar
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1/2 oz citric acid
yeast nutrient
Campden tablet
wine yeast

Grate the pumpkin flesh. Bring the water to a boil and stir in the sugar until dissolved. Remove from heat. Place grated pumpkin flesh in primary and pour boiling water over pumpkin. Allow to cool to room temperature and add Campden tablet. Cover primary and allow to sit 8-10 hours. Add pectic enzyme and allow to sit overnight. Next morning add citric acid, yeast nutrient and yeast. Cover primary and stir twice daily for three days, submerging "cap" as necessary to keep moist. Pour through a nylon straining bag and let pumpkin drip drain. Transfer to secondary and fit airlock. wait 5 days and top up as necessary. Rack after two weeks and again after additional 30 days, topping up and refitting airlock each time. Set aside for 3 months and then rack, stabilize, sweeten if desired. wait 3 weeks for dead yeast to fall out, and rack into bottles

This has been mentioned a few times on another winemaking forum I frequent, and the general consensus among those who really seem to know what they are talking about seems to be that this is *****, and don't bother wasting your sugar.

But if you do do it, use lots of Amyloglucosidase and amylase enzyme as pumpkin pulp is high in starch . . .You could always add it to teh mash to make a pumpkin beer.
But I've heard they are pretty sh!te too :lol:

PUMKIN PIE IT IS THEN!!!!!!![/quote]

I heard Pumpkin Pie is bloody amazing, definitely use your sugar on this :party: :party:

pumpkin soup is great - roast your chopped pumpkin in the oven - as it`s cooking melt some butter in a pan with some sliced onion and garlic - sweat it down - add some fresh red chilli and salt and pepper - when your pumpkin is roasted scrape the flesh into your pan - add some chicken stock or water and chix oxo cube - simmer for half an hour and then add a tin of coconut milk and blitz in a blender - eat!!

really nice with pumpkin bread and toasted pumpkin seeds........... and a big glass of beer!! or wurzels!!

grew these in the garden - gonna soup them up soon!!!
IMGP1619300x225.jpg

Don't bother trying to make alcohol from your pumpkins, and never give alcohol to your pumpkins, they can't handle it:

Borrowed from someone off my waterways forum, hope he doesn't mind (or find out).

105461529.jpg

And if anyone wants inspiration for pumpkin carving, follow the tutorial and then check out the gallery.
http://www.villafanestudios.com/pumpkins.htm

Latest posts

Back