Gaymers Olde English turbo Cider clone. ( old brown bottles)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Eastwood

Reaction score
Hi guys I put out a request for the above a while back and thanks to some advice from graysalchemy have come up with my own recipe that comes pretty close.
It is slightly stronger in alcohol effect though :)
I did 5 demi-johns with different recipe's to find a close flavour so this is scaled up to five gallons. It worked well with the scaled up 5 gallons second attempt too.
recipe:
23 litre's of aldi AJ from concentrate.
1 small bottle of wilco 100% white grape concentrate. (About 220ml)
5 level teaspoons of wine tanning.
1 wilco gervin wine yeast sachet.

As usual I forgot to take the OG :D
FG: 1002

Bottled with 1 level tsp of splenda per 500ml.
3/4 of a level tsp of granulated Tate & Lyle for carbonation.
If anything it is a little less acidic than Gaymers but slightly more apple in flavour. It's the closest out of my five attempts.
It's drinkable after two weeks which was a nice surprise which may be down to the back sweetening.
A very nice drink but don't drink too much if you need to drive to the lake district the morning after like me. :thumb:

Grape Juice aswell eh? Not too bad! Mine had more of a bulmers taste but I added a shedload of splenda and a bottle of wine sweetener

Luffy said:
Grape Juice aswell eh? Not too bad! Mine had more of a bulmers taste but I added a shedload of splenda and a bottle of wine sweetener
Yes mate I thought the grape juice would give some of the goodies the cider apples normally have.
I couldn't source any Malic acid locally, in fact the guy in the lhbs looked at me as if I said a foreign word.
I have managed to get some online so will be trying one of graysalchemy's suggestions for proper west country cider.
The recipe above has a lovely apple taste to it without being overly gastric reflux acidic if you know what I mean. Lol
I may even try adding a little malic to the above to see if it makes it more authentic but keep the grape juice.

Latest posts

Back