Loan of Scratter & Press?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldbloke

Regular.
Reaction score
Anybody within sensible distance of Todmorden got a scratter and press I can borrow when the pears come ripe round here? Just been offered the chance to grab a load for free.
And... Difference between perry pears and dessert pears?

Sorry no press or scratter though a press isn't hard to make and a bucket and lump of 4x4 timber will pulp them easily enough.

Perry pears like cider apples have higher tannin and acid tough I don't know if it is malic acid. so as per TC a simple addition of tannin and perhaps some malic acid should do the trick.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
Sorry no press or scratter though a press isn't hard to make and a bucket and lump of 4x4 timber will pulp them easily enough.

You've not seen any of my DIY efforts, clearly. There's a bloke down the road writing a book on winemaking who might have one though.

graysalchemy said:
Perry pears like cider apples have higher tannin and acid tough I don't know if it is malic acid. so as per TC a simple addition of tannin and perhaps some malic acid should do the trick.

's what I thought. I guess, if I get some juiced, taste what comes out of the press and decide what to chuck in.

:thumb: :thumb:

Yes I would have taste of the Juice. You could always add crab apples if they were about Yes I know it would be a cider perry and not a perry but may help in the acid and tannin department. :thumb:

Failing don't add anything and just make Babyshams :lol: :lol:

graysalchemy said:

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

The acid in pears is 2:1 citric to malic, so if you're intending to increase the acidity that's the combination to use.

Tim_Crowhurst said:
The acid in pears is 2:1 citric to malic, so if you're intending to increase the acidity that's the combination to use.

Is it the same for perry pears as dessert pears, but the perry ones just have more, then?

oldbloke said:
Tim_Crowhurst said:

Is it the same for perry pears as dessert pears, but the perry ones just have more, then?

I'm basing it on a chart in Kenneth Hawkins' "Home Winemaking The Right Way", which I've had since I was a teenager. The chart listing fruits by proportions of various acids doesn't make a distinction between eating and perry pears, however they are listed separately in another chart a few pages earlier that lists fruits by the amount of acid, with perry pears having about twice the acid. If the proportions of citric to malic acid in perry and eating pears were different they would presumably be listed separately, so I think it's safe to assume the proportions are roughly the same irrespective of what type of pear it is.

Tim_Crowhurst said:
I'm basing it on a chart in Kenneth Hawkins' "Home Winemaking The Right Way",

I used to have that book 20 yrs ago and I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called it had an excellent chart as you say regarding acid levels.

Just found it on Amazon here You can get it for £1.20 from some suppliers bargain well worth getting.

51THy2Du3iL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,500_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Thanks Tim :clap: :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:
LHBS does scratter&press 30quid for 2 days... I'd have to be making at least 10gallons for that to be economic...

Hi OB Titch has just passed on to me a little spinner which I you can use to extract juice once it has been crushed scratted. Never tried it but there are videos on youtube about it. You can borrow it with pleasure :thumb: :thumb:

perry is slightly different to cider : cider is an alcoholic fermented beverage made from apple juice, and any apples can go into cider, and other things as well, like pears. Perry is made from only pears, and only Perry pears (like cider apples rather than dessert, or cooking, or eating apples) - so if you make a fermented beverage just from dessert pears, you can't call it Perry, it's Pear cider. Mostly pears, with some apples, will be pear cider.
pears are harder to extract juice, so what usually happens with apples is that they're milled and then pressed fairly soon afterwards, with pears they are milled/scratted, and then left to maccerate for 24 hours before being pressed - which extracts a lot more juice.

hope that helps

According to Fowles, 90% of the acid in pears is malic and the amount is very low.
There's a fair amount of tannin in the skin. I would suggest 5 g tartaric per gallon.
I see no reason why an electric juicer can't be used instead. I picked up a secondhand one for £20 and got 55% juice extraction from apples before pressing the ejected pulp, which yielded another 20%. The 'whole fruit' models are best, far more efficient and have more powerful motors.

I wondered about freezing, but how many pears for 10gallons? Suspect I don't have enough freezer space, even in batches.
Wine or perry?

You can make a rough perry, and if you don't like it much, progress it to wine. I did this with apples. having remembered I didn't like cider that much anyway. Pure pear wine is apparantly somewhat insipid and needs other stuff to pep it up.

Latest posts

Back