Cloudy wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have noticed when i put my clear wine in the fridge it comes out cloudy, i was wondering if -

1] I am leaving it in too long.

2] The fridge is too cold.

3] Both of the above.

4] Another reason.

Probably a chill haze which only appears when it's chilled. Caused by potassium bitartrate which hasn't precipitated out of the wine. It doesn't affect the taste or the wine in a negative way. It just affects the looks. Only time will cure it.

Thanks Bob, I usually put the bottles in the fridge in the morning, would it help if i put them in nearer the time i intend to drink them, if so how long would you recommend?

There isn't much you can do about it I'm afraid. I get it occasionally. Chilling slowly down to near freezing may help the crystals grow bigger and drop out. But rapid chilling such as putting it in the fridge often just causes very tiny crystals which form the haze. It's a major headache for commercial wineries, but they tend to cold filter which removes it. Not something we tend to do.

Latest posts

Back