Plum wine cloudy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazitfc

Reaction score
Hi, can someone please advise I am new to winemaking and I have made a batch of plum wine. After fermentation period have added finings and transfered to 2nd container but not happy with how clear the wine should look.
Can someone please advise how I could get the wine clearer, do I need to complete the finings process again or is there anything else that will clear the wine?

It takes time,

When you made it was it from fruit or juice.

I added finings twice to some WOWs before but also left some and they have cleared up better than I expected inside 2months.

Scaff

Many thanks for the reply Scaff, it was made from fruit should I try & add finings for a 2nd time & see what happens?

It won't hurt it, use kwik clear or similar.

But be prepared to just leave it in a cupboard and forget about it.

Easier said than done with homebrew I know.

Scaff.

Cheers Scaff, will give it a go.
The wife will have to make due with the 24 bottles of homebrew white over xmas!!!!!!:razz:

Try cold crashing it too.

I had a kit Chardonnay that came out 'hazy'. When I racked it, most of it went into demijohns but I filled a couple of bottles. Stuck one in the fridge and a few days later, it was crystal clear with a fine layer of sediment in the bottom of the bottle. So.....

I then fined for a second time with Kwik Clear (used the kit finings first time around), cold crashed it (left behind my garage door) and bottled it this afternoon absolutely crystal clear :-D

My sloe wine is similarly cloudy. Don't see the problem though as it already tastes very drinkable, so I'm just going to drink it as it is. I really don't understand the infatuation some homebrewers have with reproducing the kind of chemical muck that comes out of factories...

Hi, I had much the same problem with my damson wine, it just wouldn't clear. I think it was a mix of fine pulp and pectin so just floated in the lower layers. After a long wait I filtered it through some kitchen roll draped over a funnel (just ease it in to place as it gets wet) it took a few sheets before it all went through but it was lovely and clear when I finished. Then I waited a while to let it all settle and will bottle it shortly (ish) Although It's Christmas, why bottle it:-D

Thanks for the replies, the plum wine was made from real fruit. It was a hedgerow wine kit & pectolase was added at the start of the prcoess

The first proper fruit wine I ever made was a plum one and I had the same problem. Still haven't beaten my pectin problem completely.

Back