Wild yeast infection - symptoms?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHW

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm almost certainly being paranoid but how do you tell if you have a wild yeast infection?

My weissbier went bonkers yesterday, yeasty foam spewing everywhere. Now that in itself was to be expected, judging by the reviews the yeast gets (wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen), this seems to be normal.

However it smells very vinegary, not at all like usual brews where I could sniff the airlock all day (weird I know but I bet I'm not the only one).

Anyone used this yeast or similar, and experienced the same? It's the first time I've used this sort of yeast so no benchmark.

What concerns me was I racked my ginger beer effort into this fv before bottling it. It was only in there for an hour or two, but with unpeeled ginger and orange zest in there, it strikes me as a prime candidate for wild yeast...I used wvp to sterilise as I usually do.

You can usually tell if you have a wild yeast infection, because you will have what you are conditioning (and not the Citra Black IPA)....

Eh? Do you mean the ginger beer? That was disgusting when I tried a sample so certainly not impossible. Bottled with some sweetener but I don't hold out hope.

Anyway, no idea if wild yeast could the issue there.

Might just chuck the fv and get a new one as they seem to be hard to shift.

Though of course the Weiss might turn out ok in the end.

Nuts. Jsut googled wild yeast and ginger and apparently proper ginger beer is made with wild yeast that's found in abundance on the skin.

Bugger. Will have to see how it turns out but I have a feeling it won't be good

I've had a wild yeast infection or two in brews before some symptoms are: Very high attenuation, beer fountains when opening the bottle, a second krausen about a week later, sourness

Too early too tell for those symptoms. Though it doesn't smell great.

I think I'll just leave it and have a taste when bottling time comes, and see if Gravity has gone v low. If it tastes vile / has low gravity then I'll bin it then rather than risk contaminating bottles too. Will also replace all plastic which isn't too bad, £20 for a new fv, siphon and bottle wand. Got the free AG kit I won too which softens the blow...

Fingers crossed it's fine though.

A vinegar smell is a bad sign, in my experience. But give it time and see what happens.

I'm almost certainly being paranoid but how do you tell if you have a wild yeast infection?

My weissbier went bonkers yesterday, yeasty foam spewing everywhere. Now that in itself was to be expected, judging by the reviews the yeast gets (wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen), this seems to be normal.

However it smells very vinegary, not at all like usual brews where I could sniff the airlock all day (weird I know but I bet I'm not the only one).

Anyone used this yeast or similar, and experienced the same? It's the first time I've used this sort of yeast so no benchmark.

What concerns me was I racked my ginger beer effort into this fv before bottling it. It was only in there for an hour or two, but with unpeeled ginger and orange zest in there, it strikes me as a prime candidate for wild yeast...I used wvp to sterilise as I usually do.

my first weissbier sample tasted really gross (not sour tho') but it came good 4 weeks after pitching so fingers crossed. Don't know about the yeast i used s-33

Back