No action.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colliefish

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys.
Yesterday I made a coopers stout with a can of dark malt extract and 200g of chocolate malt that I steeped and boiled.
Instead of using the stock coopers yeast I used an 11g pack of Nottingham.
It's been 24 hours and absolutely no action.
How long should I give it before deciding the yeast is no good and pitching the coopers yeast.
Never had a yeast fail before.
Cheers.

I wouldn't give up on the Nottingham just yet.
I'm no expert and there are those on here more knowledgeable than I would, I reckon, say the same. I personally would give it another 36 hours and if no joy, this is assuming the wart is at 21c then pitch more yeast...

Coopers yeast is usually fairly quick to start and finish the initial rush of fermentation.

A different yeast might well seem slow. As the others suggest, unless you killed it by pitching at a very high temp, it should be OK.

Pitched at 21 and in brew fridge at 20.
Brewed to 23 litres
I did this brew for a friend 6 weeks ago and his went off like a rocket.
Only difference is this time I added the Nottingham instead of the coopers enclosed yeast.

Havnt done a gravity reading as its only been 36 hours as at 8 am on this sunny Sunday morning :-)

If you were to make a gravity reading you could then tell if it's underway. Some yeast don't show much activity. I use WLP005 quite a lot, the first time I thought nothing had happened for about 4 days so I took a reading and it had almost finished.

Latest posts

Back