Temperature of mash water in simple AG --> poor head

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtreach

Reaction score
Hey, I've been following the very good 'simple' all-grain recipe in the how-to section of the forum. I've adapted this for a few more complex recipes including a wheat beer.

The wheat beer I made was very tasty (here if you're curious) but it didn't have a particularly good head despite me over carbonating it by accident.

This got me wondering whether the way I've been mashing is the cause of this. I currently mash at around 67-70°C for an hour with towels keeping the pot warm. After this, I pour the mash liquor into a FV from my pot and remove the grains. Then I heat up the sparge water in my newly empty pot.

The crux of my question is - as my mash liquor sits there whilst I heat the sparge water are the proteins being broken down as the temperature drops i.e. like a protein rest that I've seen mentioned? Is this the cause of my bad head formation? If so, does anybody have any suggestions to counter this other than heat the sparge water as quickly as possible?

I measured the drop in temperature in the mash liquor (admitted after an extended hiatus whilst I talk to a guy from the AA about my car) and it had fallen in the FV from 65°C to 40°C.

Any help / advice really appreciated :-D

What is your grain bill?

You could include Torrified Wheat which helps head retention.
Also a decoction mash process is necessary to maximize the breakdown of proteins and starch.

The negative of too much protein is decreased head retention.

These were the ingredients but my question is more about the BIAB process as laid out in this thread.

1.20kg Wheat Malt
0.8kg Pilsner Malt
0.12kg CaraPils
7g Citra pellets (70mins)
1/4 Protofloc tablet 15mins
10g Citra Pellets (flameout)
Safbrew WB-06 yeast

Not a good idea to let your mash water drop that lowyou will want to maintain it really ideally from end of rest and bring it to boil as soon as your ready.

Head retention is a funny one, have you looked at glassware and things like bottles how you wash and clean these things can have a huge effect on head retention

Not a good idea to let your mash water drop that lowyou will want to maintain it really ideally from end of rest and bring it to boil as soon as your ready.

Head retention is a funny one, have you looked at glassware and things like bottles how you wash and clean these things can have a huge effect on head retention

Yeah in my ignorance I didn't really even think about the temperature dropping on the first bit of the wort. I think next time I do BIAB I'll just steep in all the water at the beginning and not sparge at all.

Thanks for tips on head retention I'm pretty hot on cleaning and rinsing though I think.

Yeah in my ignorance I didn't really even think about the temperature dropping on the first bit of the wort. I think next time I do BIAB I'll just steep in all the water at the beginning and not sparge at all.

Thanks for tips on head retention I'm pretty hot on cleaning and rinsing though I think.

Its more to do with making sure you don't use soap and washing up liquid on your glass ware and don't stick them in teh dishwasher..

I am guessing you probably don't do that anyway from your reply.

Latest posts

Back