AG batch No.8 German Weiss

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenhorn

Regular.
Reaction score
Well that didn't go to plan.

15L batch

OG of 1.05

FG of 1.01

1.5kg munich light
2kg wheat
25g tettnang @60min
wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan

mega simple......

I mashed in with 10.5L at 67°c, held for 90 min and mashed out at 76°c.

Sparged with 77°c until I had 20L @1.03

And then my homemade boiler cooked itself.

So I spent several hours boiling batches on the hob. I started boiling it all together in several pots but the hob also decided it was getting too hot and shut down.
20160813_155741.jpg

Not what I had in mind.

Hopefully it's not been messed up. It's currently in the FV at a steady 18°c so we'll see in a couple of weeks. At least these wheat beers come on quickly so you don't waste several weeks if it's a bad batch.

I'm sure it will be fantastic.

I went for a boiler made from a Cygnet 27L hot water urn. Swapped the thermostat out for a simmerstat and bypassed one of the high limit stats. Works like a charm!

If you ever need wiring help then give me a shout, spent 7 years in the electrical trade, 4 years as an apprentice and 3 years as a qualified spark.

Well that didn't go to plan.

15L batch

OG of 1.05

FG of 1.01

1.5kg munich light
2kg wheat
25g tettnang @60min
wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan

mega simple......

I mashed in with 10.5L at 67°c, held for 90 min and mashed out at 76°c.

Sparged with 77°c until I had 20L @1.03

And then my homemade boiler cooked itself.

So I spent several hours boiling batches on the hob. I started boiling it all together in several pots but the hob also decided it was getting too hot and shut down.
View attachment 6297

Not what I had in mind.

Hopefully it's not been messed up. It's currently in the FV at a steady 18°c so we'll see in a couple of weeks. At least these wheat beers come on quickly so you don't waste several weeks if it's a bad batch.

I have just done a Weissbeer with the same yeast. It is a good one to top crop if you wanna save some. Bit of a bummer about your equipment going **** up, been there. Really annoying. Last time i tried to do a brew on my induction stovetop that wasn;t playing ball either.

Nice offer from @grizzly299 Might be asking for some help wiring up my inkbird PID once the other parts arrive. :)

Cheers chaps.

In the end I went for a 32L Peco digital boiler which I can use for having a bit of a go at BIAB.

The weihenstephen yeast din't take off like i expected it to, abut then non of my brews have really generated much of a krausen. I tested it and tasted it last night and it had dropped to 1.012 (4.7%).

Tasted good as well, so it looks as if all the faffing about with the boil didn't affect it too badly.

I've upped the temp a couple of degrees to see if I can get a little more attenuation, but all looks good for bottling later this week.

Latest posts

Back