Neipa hop tea

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liamf89

Reaction score
Hi. I have done my first dry hop on my Neipa during fermentation am about to do my second dry hop either tonight or tomorrow.have 15g of each of my hops of choice. four hop varieties in total 60g was just wonder would there be any point dry hopping with 30g now instead for three to four days and then making a hop tea out of the rest and adding it straight to the keg at keggibg time. Also should I drop the temperature down now for second dry hop

I'm only going on what I've read rather than experimented on however dry hops seem to do better in warmer liquid in parting with the oils so I wouldn't drop the temp unless needed for dry hopping...

Interesting you mention about tea hopping though I'm just about to try that and been reading up on it.

It 'can' add much more aroma to a brew if used correctly apparently. I'm going to filter off 4 litres of my Zombie Dust and try adding a small tea hop to that and compare with the standard beer.

Problem with this experiment is all the dust has been dry hopped so I'm just adding into the 4 litres rather than comparing tea hop v dry hop but this is the nearest I can get for now... Might give me an indication if it's worth it

I'm only going on what I've read rather than experimented on however dry hops seem to do better in warmer liquid in parting with the oils so I wouldn't drop the temp unless needed for dry hopping...

Interesting you mention about tea hopping though I'm just about to try that and been reading up on it.

It 'can' add much more aroma to a brew if used correctly apparently. I'm going to filter off 4 litres of my Zombie Dust and try adding a small tea hop to that and compare with the standard beer.

Problem with this experiment is all the dust has been dry hopped so I'm just adding into the 4 litres rather than comparing tea hop v dry hop but this is the nearest I can get for now... Might give me an indication if it's worth it
How much water and hops you using to make the tea

That is not much water ! Won't the hop itself retain most of that !?

Dunno tbh, I'm assuming I remembered it correctly (which I may not have). The times I've done hop teas I usually do 1L and just make my brew 1L less in volume, then top it up with the hopt tea to the correct brew lengh. I think terry said he came up with this figure so it doesnt dilute the brew.

That is not much water ! Won't the hop itself retain most of that !?
Yes, but I chuck the both tea and the hops into the brew. :thumb:
That way you extract the flavour from the hops by using the hot water, any 'goodness' left in the hops will be further extracted by the ensuing cold steep in the brew, and finally you limit dilution of your brew by water from the tea.

That way you extract the flavour from the hops by using the hot water, any 'goodness' left in the hops will be further extracted by the ensuing cold steep in the brew, and finally you limit dilution of your brew by water from the tea.

Ah so you do it before a cold crash !? I see... Good idea !

I've already started and virtually finished before I read this idea so going to do this one afterwards.

Do you manage this will large amount of dry hopping ? Think I added 80g of hops for my dry hop, might dilute the beer quite a bit

Ah so you do it before a cold crash !? I see... Good idea !

I've already started and virtually finished before I read this idea so going to do this one afterwards.

Do you manage this will large amount of dry hopping ? Think I added 80g of hops for my dry hop, might dilute the beer quite a bit
If you plan on adding a significant volume of liquid in a hop tea later in the brew cycle (say >500ml), you might consider brewing a little short at the outset to allow for that liquid volume.
Alternatively if you are intending to use a lot of hops later on, split the batch , and make a hop tea with one part, and dry hop with the rest. That way you limit the dilution effect of the hop tea.

If you plan on adding a significant volume of liquid in a hop tea later in the brew cycle (say >500ml), you might consider brewing a little short at the outset to allow for that liquid volume.
Alternatively if you are intending to use a lot of hops later on, split the batch , and make a hop tea with one part, and dry hop with the rest. That way you limit the dilution effect of the hop tea.

Is that 500ml for a standard 20l batch ? That can't dilute it that much surely ?

Was actually going to do various hop teas as an experiment with whatever I brew next as in a more controlled environment...

The one thing I'm still not happy with is the aroma and power of the hopping I'm putting into my beer. Certainly no where near commercial brewing so have lots of experiments lined up to test certain elements...

Thanks for the advice though !

Has anyone done any tests to see what/any additional IBU's does/can/might be added through doing hop teas.

What temp do people make hop tea's at? >80oC water?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is that 500ml for a standard 20l batch ? That can't dilute it that much surely ?
Yes, 500ml in 20l isn't very much, but I said >500ml, which could mean anything, and I also suggested that you only might consider brewing short.
Anyway, if you are going to run some experiments you could share the results on here :thumb:

Can you not add sugar/dme to your hop tea to the same ratio as your brew so your not diluting the abv etc.

Got to admit Terry, the last time I did this using a cafetierre I only put the liquid in. It 'seemed' to work but I guess only scientific analysis would prove the point and Im not going down that road!:thumb:

Got to admit Terry, the last time I did this using a cafetierre I only put the liquid in. It 'seemed' to work but I guess only scientific analysis would prove the point and Im not going down that road!:thumb:
I tried the cafetiere method but it seemed a shame to waste some of the 'goodness' left in the hops after the hot steep so that's why I chuck the lot in.

Well I've done my first 1/2 experiment...

I ended up steeping 15g of Citra pellet in 500ml of 70c water for 30-40 minutes which I simply strained though a hop bag...

That got most of the hop out and gave me around 200ml of hoppy goodness which I added to 4.5l of my brew...

Annoyingly I think I got quite a bit of the hop dust in my brew when I bottled it so might have screwed this up however first note is the smell didn't really seem anymore intense than the original dry hopped version. My beer was cloudy as anyway, gelatin and cold crashing for a week done nothing to help this bad boy clear !

Incidentally does anyone know if a high mash temp contribute to haze ?

So bottles are priming in the fridge along with my new red ale brew, which looked amazingly red from the wort ! We will wait a few weeks and compare the 2...

Whilst I call this an experiment it's not really scientific and any conclusions drawn from this should be taken with a large container full of salt but it's a start.

gotta admit that's what I do too tea and chuck the hops in as well.sometimes in the cornie keg too when packaging up,so far I haven't noticed any grassiness in doing this:thumb:

Well I've done my first 1/2 experiment...

I ended up steeping 15g of Citra pellet in 500ml of 70c water for 30-40 minutes which I simply strained though a hop bag...

That got most of the hop out and gave me around 200ml of hoppy goodness which I added to 4.5l of my brew...

Annoyingly I think I got quite a bit of the hop dust in my brew when I bottled it so might have screwed this up however first note is the smell didn't really seem anymore intense than the original dry hopped version. My beer was cloudy as anyway, gelatin and cold crashing for a week done nothing to help this bad boy clear !

Incidentally does anyone know if a high mash temp contribute to haze ?

So bottles are priming in the fridge along with my new red ale brew, which looked amazingly red from the wort ! We will wait a few weeks and compare the 2...

Whilst I call this an experiment it's not really scientific and any conclusions drawn from this should be taken with a large container full of salt but it's a start.
The most striking part of your experiment is that as you added 500ml liquid and only recovered 200ml of hop tea, so you left 300ml of liquid behind absorbed by the hops. If you had added that to the brew as well you would have increased the hop 'goodness' yield by another 150%, plus the extra yet to be released by the hops.

Latest posts

Back