A new setup for the monthly comps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stigman

Landlord.
Reaction score
With the recent talks about the monthly comps, I thought I'd start a thread of its own. All ideas to make these competitions better are welcome.

I think he means the recent discussion in the competition thread where i suggested having a bottle swap for any type of beer rather than a specific style could get the competition popularity back.

Imo Chippy's suggestion of an "open style" competition is the way to go to keep this alive. I think some of the comments regarding difficulty in judging different styles, while true, are maybe missing the point of this "for a bit of fun" competition. We aren't too bothered about stylistic accuracy, just how good we think the beer is. While this is completely subjective, the fact that the judge changes monthly makes that somewhat irrelevant in my view.

I was talking about the discussion in the July comp thread. It seams the monthly comps are dwindling in participants due to somewhat unpopular styles, I propose we keep to the schedule but also run a general competition along side this, where any beer cab be entered. And then we have two winners it means everybody can enter each month and get some constructive feedback on whatever brews they have available that month.

Not sure if it's too much porter but I don't really get it.

Are you suggesting keeping the current system but anyone can send any beer to the judge for some feedback?

I think certain styles will attract less applicants.

Perhaps merging certain styles and s judge judges two competitions in one month?

I'd like to take part but I haven't had the right style ready at the right time, bear in mind I'm pretty new to AG. I've always wondered why the style for each comp wasn't publicised well in advance, like at the beginning of the year for the following twelve or even six months?
If it actually is and I've missed it just tell me to stfu :lol:

Actually I think if it was publicised in advance it might encourage us all to try more styles, I'm IPA, Stout, English Ale biased, but if there was a schedule I'm sure I'd try more styles just to take part.

Who picks the judge for each month?
This thread has the schedule up until September 2018 and anyone is free to volunteer to judge a month.

I'd like to take part but I haven't had the right style ready at the right time, bear in mind I'm pretty new to AG. I've always wondered why the style for each comp wasn't publicised well in advance, like at the beginning of the year for the following twelve or even six months?
If it actually is and I've missed it just tell me to stfu :lol:

Stfu Poochops :lol:
Only joking, but see the thread linked above :D

Well spank my ass and call me Sally! That's me well and truly told :lol: good though I can enter Sept, Dec and Jan and if I pull my finger out I could do October too!

I read the forum by viewing the latest thread updates, I rarely look into the individual sections so I well and truly missed the schedule, perhaps make it a sticky.
If it actually is already and I've missed it just tell me to stfu.... :whistle:

Well spank my ass and call me Sally! That's me well and truly told :lol: good though I can enter Sept, Dec and Jan and if I pull my finger out I could do October too!

I read the forum by viewing the latest thread updates, I rarely look into the individual sections so I well and truly missed the schedule, perhaps make it a sticky.
If it actually is already and I've missed it just tell me to stfu.... :whistle:

stfu again :D

Joking aside I'd be well up for a freestyle monthly comp, I've always got something ready and it's always good to get a bit of feedback.

I imagine it'll be more fun for the judge to have a bunch of different styles as well :)

Joking aside I'd be well up for a freestyle monthly comp, I've always got something ready and it's always good to get a bit of feedback.

I imagine it'll be more fun for the judge to have a bunch of different styles as well :)

Like I said earlier we could keep the schedule which might encourage people to brew things they usually wouldn't. And also have a freestyle comp at the same time. It's a win win that way, everyone can enter and the judge gets to judge more than 3 or 4 beers.

How do you judge a free style comp? It's going to be more personal preference based I'd imagine and I'm not sure how constructive that would be.

I do agree that something needs to change to get the popularity back, the first few months done really well but it has dwindled. Maybe we could generalise things a little rather than having such specific categories? Certain styles are always going to attract more interest...I reckon if we changed August or September to IPA it'd get a lot of entrants.

Maybe monthly is too frequent?

Another suggestion if i may.

Instead of it being a competition why not draw up a list of judges then you send that months judge a bottle of whatever you have going spare and you do list what style it is the judges then give feedback in the thread members can then ask for a recipe if they like the sound of a particular beer or beers, this way you may send several different judges the same beer and get several different views on it.

Like I said earlier we could keep the schedule which might encourage people to brew things they usually wouldn't. And also have a freestyle comp at the same time. It's a win win that way, everyone can enter and the judge gets to judge more than 3 or 4 beers.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That makes a lot of sense
Maybe a couple of judges one for free style one for the nominated beer, that way I would assume the nominated category judges fancies themselves as knowledge on that particularly beer type.
Where as the freestyle judges would just judge by there personal preference

In reference to Chippy: So the "judge" becomes more of a "forum taster/reviewer" for the month? Beers that are in the month's style are competing but the rest are just for comment? Sounds workable, in the end folks get an independent review of their brew which is probably what they're after and it avoids the issue of trying to objectively judge and compare vastly different beers without it coming down to personal style preference.

Soton: I think Stigman was still advocating for there being just one judge a month, so they get a decent selection of beers. Otherwise it doens't help much, the volunteer for the style category might get basically nothing and the free-style judge gets a bunch, leaves the style focused part a bit redundant, which is the current issue.

Latest posts

Back