A new setup for the monthly comps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea of having the occasional free-style competition, but not every month and even every second month seems a bit much. Another way of broadening the number of entries would be to change the categories in the current schedule to be a bit broader. For instance, instead of light lager and dark / malty lager, merge them into a lager category. Imperial stout and stout/porter could be merged, as could Belgian, saison sour/lambic and trappist/abbey. Mild, Scottish, bitter and some of IPA, brown and barleywine could be covered by a more general British ale category, while double IPA and the rest of IPA, brown and barleywine could be covered by an American category. Low ABV could be absorbed into the the other categories, while wheat and SMASH can stay as they are. Experimental could easily be accommodated in the new freestyle category. This way, the judge wouldn't have the impossible task of having to rank beers that are completely different in what they are trying to achieve, but still increase the pool of members that have something to submit each month. Just a thought.

I like the idea of having the occasional free-style competition, but not every month and even every second month seems a bit much. Another way of broadening the number of entries would be to change the categories in the current schedule to be a bit broader. For instance, instead of light lager and dark / malty lager, merge them into a lager category. Imperial stout and stout/porter could be merged, as could Belgian, saison sour/lambic and trappist/abbey. Mild, Scottish, bitter and some of IPA, brown and barleywine could be covered by a more general British ale category, while double IPA and the rest of IPA, brown and barleywine could be covered by an American category. Low ABV could be absorbed into the the other categories, while wheat and SMASH can stay as they are. Experimental could easily be accommodated in the new freestyle category. This way, the judge wouldn't have the impossible task of having to rank beers that are completely different in what they are trying to achieve, but still increase the pool of members that have something to submit each month. Just a thought.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Must admit I don't see how freestyle can work as a comp. A tasting yes but if the beers don't have something in common how can they be jugged against each other?
Maybe to broaden we could have beer by colour comps? Red, dark etc.
I like brewing a beer for a purpose to help me understand brewing and these comps have really helped me.
I would actually like to see them become more complex like being given a ingredient list but then its up to the brewer to design the recipe and timings themselves. Sadly I cant see that getting many entries but would be really interesting and fun to do.

Like I said earlier we could keep the schedule which might encourage people to brew things they usually wouldn't. And also have a freestyle comp at the same time. It's a win win that way, everyone can enter and the judge gets to judge more than 3 or 4 beers.

That's going to be a session and a half and might take a while to get through so many beers and styles.
I think you'll have to invite a few friends around or get your local HBC together...:whistle:

@JFB "I would actually like to see them become more complex like being given a ingredient list but then its up to the brewer to design the recipe and timings themselves. Sadly I cant see that getting many entries but would be really interesting and fun to do"

Now that's another possibility that could be another competition style/class..:thumb:

maybe I've not been overly clear with what I've said. I'm thinking we can keep to the schedule but run a general/any style comp side by side this. Homebrew comps aren't judged by how much a certain person likes a certain beer/style, more how that beer meets the style guidlines. You can brew something hoping to enter a competition in a certain category but when it's ready it's just not right. enter it into a different style and score much higher.

maybe I've not been overly clear with what I've said. I'm thinking we can keep to the schedule but run a general/any style comp side by side this. Homebrew comps aren't judged by how much a certain person likes a certain beer/style, more how that beer meets the style guidlines. You can brew something hoping to enter a competition in a certain category but when it's ready it's just not right. enter it into a different style and score much higher.

The thing is, the current format/setup doesn't seem to be working anymore so I don't think there is much value keeping it going as it is. Whether it is replaced by a free format comp or more generalised styles I don't know but something needs to change if it is to keep running I think...only thing is, I'm not sure how we make a decision on the direction it should take. :lol:

Maybe stop calling it a competition and call it a tasting, the judge gets several different bottles and comments on each in his monthly thread he can of course pick his favourite if he wants which would be the monthly winner.

I think part of the problems with the competitions is the same few members seem to be talking the top places in all the comps, i imagine this will have put inexperienced brewers off and that is why numbers are dwindling.

Maybe stop calling it a competition and call it a tasting, the judge gets several different bottles and comments on each in his monthly thread he can of course pick his favourite if he wants which would be the monthly winner.

+1 on the tastings idea and not calling it a comp anymore that way anybody can feel free to enter no pressure, and get some constructive feedback on whatever they have brewed or have in good condition that month.

+1 on the tastings idea and not calling it a comp anymore that way anybody can feel free to enter no pressure, and get some constructive feedback on whatever they have brewed or have in good condition that month.

Isn't that the purpose of bottle swaps? I don't really see the benefit of submitting something for a general tasting but that's just me.

For me it's about being measured against other people. Even tho it has always been a competition thus far, I hope people who have entered have gained something from it.

I'm not really precious about what direction the competition, I think at this point I'm more interested in working out how we actually take it forward.

I think part of the problems with the competitions is the same few members seem to be talking the top places in all the comps, i imagine this will have put inexperienced brewers off and that is why numbers are dwindling.

I think @JFB knows you mean him! :lol: The reason certain people come out in the honours each time is:

a) they're bloody good brewers
b) they enter most months

I'd like to change one of the upcoming months to American Ales to see what the interest is like before abandoning the competition format.

I'd also like permission to post a new thread in the main forum for that month as a one off, I'm convinced it being in a infrequently viewed subforum doesn't help. I know the old comp thread is there but I suspect people ignore big old stickies.

I have no problem with a heads up type thread every month as they will move down the board as each month passes, I will remove the sticky so members are not confused.

Personally I think everyone has their own opinion and style and that's why it is going to be hard to come to an all round solution.
If a poll were to be set for beer styles/types/personal preferences and sort out the most sought after then define your categories but also have classes as there are going to be a lot of people say newbies for instance and we've all been that think I've only ever brewed a kit which may turn out to be an absolute cracker and they don't have the confidence to go up against more experienced brewers.
People read the forum and although it's more than welcoming, helpful and very useful it is also quite intimidating when you see terms like mash tun,HERMs,HLT and others which give people nerves or shyness to an extent.
At the end of the day as it has been pointed out it's a bit of fun with feedback which is always a win as it tells both positive and negative aspects of other people's take on your creation.
Now on the other hand there is also the case where cost comes into it as some people think it's too expensive to post these items.
I think the Mods could send out PM's or emails as one sent to all members asking what their thoughts,styles and preferences are and place replies in a thread for those interested as I'm sure we can beat this around the bush.IMO.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Personally I think everyone has their own opinion and style and that's why it is going to be hard to come to an all round solution.
If a poll were to be set for beer styles/types/personal preferences and sort out the most sought after then define your categories but also have classes as there are going to be a lot of people say newbies for instance and we've all been that think I've only ever brewed a kit which may turn out to be an absolute cracker and they don't have the confidence to go up against more experienced brewers.
People read the forum and although it's more than welcoming, helpful and very useful it is also quite intimidating when you see terms like mash tun,HERMs,HLT and others which give people nerves or shyness to an extent.
At the end of the day as it has been pointed out it's a bit of fun with feedback which is always a win as it tells both positive and negative aspects of other people's take on your creation.
Now on the other hand there is also the case where cost comes into it as some people think it's too expensive to post these items.
I think the Mods could send out PM's or emails as one sent to all members asking what their thoughts,styles and preferences are and place replies in a thread for those interested as I'm sure we can beat this around the bush.IMO.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

If the mods could send a message to every member with a defined question(s) and correlate the feedback that'd be the ultimate solution. I can't help but think it might be too much work tho.

If the mods could send a message to every member with a defined question(s) and correlate the feedback that'd be the ultimate solution. I can't help but think it might be too much work tho.

Same idea as sending an email to multiple contacts which should be possible as all the contacts will have relevant email addresses set up for contact by forum,and besides we have supermods on this forum:wink:

I can send PM's to 300 members at a time but I have to manually add each member, I have not seen an option to email several members at the same time, I think the way forward is to open a thread here and ask what each member thinks the way forward should be then when everyone (the regulars) have had their say it can be taken from there.

To add to the above -

If members would prefer a poll I need poll options to put into it, if members would prefer to do it this way MP me the options.

Latest posts

Back