A Narrow Escape

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alone in the house this afternoon, I heard a loud bang like shattering glass. Had a think as to what it could have been, then forgot about it. A little while ago my missus and son came home from visiting, and as usual the kid ran upstairs to resume whatever xbox game he's in the middle of. The noise I heard was the sound of a 330ml bottle of Coca Cola spontaneously exploding in his bedroom. Now, he'd got four of these on his teevee shelf, about 3 feet away from where his head would have been, had he been at home at the time. The top third of the bottle, with cap still attached, was lying on his bed. The rest was in a million pieces. I donned full motorcycle kit to dispose of the other three. He could well have been blinded / seriously injured. Can't believe it.

:shock: have you any idea what caused it?

Nope, there was no-one there so it had not been shook up or anything. Ok it was a bit warm but it is warm on the supermarket shelf too, and they all survive the car journey home. Must've been a thin portion of glass or a bottle that had somehow gotten over-pressurised. I've saved the relevant codes and dates off the others, gonna contact them tomorrow.

If that is a bad batch of bottles that is a worry, i hope its just a one off as it didn't cause any harm your end.

When I read the first line I was expecting you to say a bottle bomb, but not a coke bottle bomb. Glad everyones ok :thumb:

Thanks. Gonna call them tomorrow, not to seek compensation or any of that nonsense ( I would if there'd been injury ) but for them to investigate that batch. If there's a product recall you'll know who started it lol.

Wonder what the pressure is in a coke bottle.

Have had beer bottle bomb imbed a section of glass in a piece of timber and that was only 2.3 volumes .

Wonder what the pressure is in a coke bottle.

Have had beer bottle bomb imbed a section of glass in a piece of timber and that was only 2.3 volumes .

Crikey. I opened the other three, still wearing full-face helmet, gloves and thick leather jacket but they all gave just a tiny hiss.

Crikey. I opened the other three, still wearing full-face helmet, gloves and thick leather jacket but they all gave just a tiny hiss.

Whilst it ain't funny, you could almost included that in a monty python sketch:whistle:

glad no one was hurt..

If that particular bottle had been dropped or received a sharp knock the glass could have weakened??

stick to tins in future for the pop perhaps..

Maybe it got infected? All this talk of exploding bottles and shards of glass makes me nervous. Never had one yet but I think I'm going to rehouse all the bottles I've got sitting on shelves into cardboard boxes.

The kid prefers those bottles to cans, but that's bad luck cos he's getting no more. But.... I like those bottles too, and I've got a fair bit of HB invested within them! And going by the 3 bottles I opened and disposed of yesterday, my beer has a little bit more carbonation than the pop they originally contained. What's a boy to do?? Guess I'll just have to treat with caution and discard when empty.

I had a coke-can bomb in my car once

I had left a can of coke in the holder thing while i left my car in the car park for a day at work. I came back to the car after work and drove home wondering why the steering wheel was a bit sticky, then I noticed that most of the inside of the car was covered in brown sticky stuff and seeing the remains of the can realised that had happened. It was Summer so the temp in the car would have got fairly hot even if it wasn't exactly scorching outside.

It was a bit like this (not my image, just one I found on Google)
1aewey5nniiz.jpg

I came back to the car after work and drove home wondering why the steering wheel was a bit sticky, then I noticed that most of the inside of the car was covered in brown sticky stuff

You got all the way home without realising an entire can of coke had detonated inside the interior? :eek:

You do realise that letting your children drink this liquid sugar will turn them diabetic in a few years

Latest posts

Back