Crimewatch axed by BBC after 33 years

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to be covered by a TV Licence to:
watch or record live TV programmes on any channel
download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer" live, catch up or on demand.

If you arent watching any of these then no need for a licence, dont see why you would need to block them unless worried about kids watching these channels. I have BBC iplayer already installed on my TV (cant uninstall) but never use it.
��£147 a year! thats around 10 AG brews, or 230L of good beer. I know which I choose ;-)

Yes, the fact you have installed a Virgin media box means you are required by law to have a TV Licence. Even if you never watch BBC programmes, you need a licence to watch live or recorded programmes from any broadcaster.

from http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk

"A TV Licence is a legal permission to install or use television receiving equipment to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This could be on any device, including TVs, desktop computers, laptops, mobile phones, tablets, games consoles, digital boxes, DVD, Blu-ray and VHS recorders. This applies regardless of which television channels a person receives or how those channels are received. The licence fee is not a payment for BBC services (or any other television service), although licence fee revenue is used to fund the BBC."

The licence fee is not a payment for BBC services (or any other television service), although licence fee revenue is used to fund the BBC."

I assume that part was written by a lawyer since I just don't get it :confused:

I assume that part was written by a lawyer since I just don't get it :confused:

Many T.V licence holders believe we pay our TV license fee so the BBC can spend all the money making programmes it isn't it is a licence to allow you to view as a driving licence allows you to drive a car on our roads.

Why do I need a TV Licence?

A TV Licence is a legal permission to install or use television receiving equipment to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This could be on any device, including TVs, desktop computers, laptops, mobile phones, tablets, games consoles, digital boxes, DVD, Blu-ray and VHS recorders. This applies regardless of which television channels a person receives or how those channels are received. The licence fee is not a payment for BBC services (or any other television service), although licence fee revenue is used to fund the BBC.

The requirement to hold a TV Licence and to pay a fee for it is mandated by law under the Communications Act 2003 and Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended). It is an offence to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on any channel and on any broadcast platform (terrestrial, satellite, cable and the internet) or download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer without a valid TV Licence.

Section 363 of the Communications Act 2003 makes it an offence to install or use a television receiver to watch or record any television programmes as they’re being shown on television without a TV Licence.
Section 365 of that Act requires that a person to whom a TV Licence is issued must pay a fee to the BBC. The nature and amount of this fee is set out in the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended).

Since 1991, the BBC, in its role as the relevant licensing authority, has been responsible for collecting and enforcing the TV Licence fee. The BBC contracts companies to do this work under the BBC trade mark ‘TV Licensing’. The BBC (and contractors acting on its behalf) must comply with the law in collecting and enforcing the licence fee. The BBC Charter further requires that these arrangements be appropriate, proportionate and efficient.

I've given up on the BBC altogether. Sod-all on their teevee offerings, even the news is ****. Our radios are tuned into Planet Rock. Why do I have to pay for a license? Is there any way round this without changing my set up? Wonder if Virgin could block all BBC channels thus rendering me exempt...

Not watching BBC isn't enough. You need a licence if you watch or record TV programs as they are broadcast - regardless of who is doing the broadcasting. From September of 2016, the law was changed so that now, you also need a licence to watch I-player.
What you don't need a licence for is catchup services other than I-player or on demand streaming services such as Netflix - provided they are not streaming content as it is broadcast.
If you have kids or are hooked on sports or 24 hour news, going licence free isn't for you.

Many T.V licence holders believe we pay our TV license fee so the BBC can spend all the money making programmes it isn't it is a licence to allow you to view as a driving licence allows you to drive a car on our roads.

Exactly. It's a licence allowing you use TV signal receiving equipment.

The licence fee has been discussed here before and I said this last time £12:25 a month is not a rip off and I would rather pay that than have to watch adverts when watching T.V the way you have to if you do not have one.

The licence fee has been discussed here before and I said this last time £12:25 a month is not a rip off and I would rather pay that than have to watch adverts when watching T.V the way you have to if you do not have one.

Being as tight as a gnat's chuff, I beg to differ! The adverts sure are **** but they give me something to vent my suppressed rage at / chance to get another pint / go for a pee / throw the cats out etc.

Back