Aniseed saision

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had an experimental brew day today!
I wanted to do a saison for a friends birthday present and went for some liquorice flavours.

I tried using some unpopped, popcorn kernels as had some spare. Read somewhere they needed to be boiled so did this before the mash and then added them in along with the water they were soaked in.

I had meant to use pilsner malt but stupidly i grabbed the wrong bag and so its ended up with light munich malt.

Went with 3 star anise and half a stick of liquorice root

Og of 1.054, tasted good and pitched in the whole sachet of yeast just to be safe.

Nice, you essentially used a bock grist. What brand of munich did you use? Crisp do a light and dark Weyermann do a I and II but Crisp's light is equal in colour to Weyermann II, Crisp dark is more or less a melanoidin/aromatic malt with EBC around 50.

Sounds like it could be a very tasty beer? What yeast did you use, the mention of a sachet makes me think either Belle Saison or CML Lille Saison?

Nice, you essentially used a bock grist. What brand of munich did you use? Crisp do a light and dark Weyermann do a I and II but Crisp's light is equal in colour to Weyermann II, Crisp dark is more or less a melanoidin/aromatic malt with EBC around 50.

Sounds like it could be a very tasty beer? What yeast did you use, the mention of a sachet makes me think either Belle Saison or CML Lille Saison?

Ah thats really interesting, i used crisp pale munich.

Bottled today and the sample i was very impressed with! It was a sachet of lallemand belle saison yeast. Pitched the whole sachet into the demijohn to be on thr safe side.

The better half said flavour and aroma of toffee apple.

I primed more than i would normally and looking forward to the finished product!

Sounds like an excellent brew, I may have to try 100% munich sometime as I want to try out the Bock style and traditionally, that's one way of doing it. Care to share some photos of the finished beer once it's done?

Tried first bottle tonight, came out a lovely colour, good carbonation. Was expecting a bit more from the flavour, nice malt flavour, low hops but just not much spicy "saisony" flavours.

Still very drinkable and just going to let it warm up a bit more!

20171118_195459.jpg

Looks great. I've heard that the belle saison yeast isn't as characterful as a liquid yeadt but it might be confirmation bias against dry yeast. How big was the batch? 1 sachet in a demijohn like you say would be quite an overpitch meaning more subdued flavour. Hope it's tasty enough.

I didn’t realise that - might explain why my steam beer came out so dark!

I didn’t realise that - might explain why my steam beer came out so dark!

How much did you use? The basic brewing guys once accidentally used victory instead of Vienna (maybe a mix) in an Octoberfest, it was dark brown and finished above 1.020 but tastep OK.

Hmmm well batch of roughly 4 litres in the end. So too much yeast would lead to less flavour?!

I believe so, esters are related to yeast growth so pitching more means less growth and less esters but it gets complicated with Belgian yeasts as phenols act differently and they are the spicy flavours. I need to get time to read my Yeast book. 😀

How much did you use? The basic brewing guys once accidentally used victory instead of Vienna (maybe a mix) in an Octoberfest, it was dark brown and finished above 1.020 but tastep OK.

It was only 500g (10%) but paired with a lot of medium crystal. It’s orobavly the best beer I’ve made, but version 4 will either use a different Munich or a lighter crystal to bring it back to the Amber colour I was aiming for

Back