Greg Hughes Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take it nobody’s tried it(or nobody wants to!)
I will review it,I’m not planning to make Budweiser ,just a light ,crisp,hoppy lager

Take it nobody’s tried it(or nobody wants to!)
I will review it,I’m not planning to make Budweiser ,just a light ,crisp,hoppy lager

Gulpener has an 'Ur-hop', as in 'ancient hop'. It's a hoppy lager. One of the few lagers I like. Not found a clone yet.

Whilst I dont make the recipes from GH's book I've just started to regularly make light pseudo lagers using cornflakes instead of flaked maize. The first one I did I used H&B posh corn flakes. I would have turned out great I think, except for the fact it was a fusil alcohol bomb (the yeast seems to go bonkers when it gets anywhere near easily fermentable sugars and kicks out more heat than normal leading to fusils). I've just put another one on yesterday and I used ASDA cornflakes (I also used some table sugar so I'm thinking of calling it a breakfast lager :lol: )

I’m a bit annoyed paying the delivery for flaked maize and flaked rice !
Ive a few packets of hops left and was going to make a one hop beer,anybody any recommendations what will go nice,I have.....
100g Simcoe
100g Ahtnum
100g Amarillo
100g Chinook
100g Motueka
100g Pacific Gem
A lot I know , don’t say chuck em all in
Cheers

Hi!
Someone on the forum uses bog standard supermarket corn flakes in place of flaked maize and gets good results.

Watch out when using breakfast cereals they are fortified with added iron which can give a very strange taste when used in large quantities.

At my HB club they made several breakfast cereal beers where the cereals made up about half of the grist and all of them were ruined by the strong metallic taste from the iron in the cereals.

Here they are,anybody ....hops.....?

B50E7F20-6D64-44B2-9258-4D58049116B1.jpg

Anyone done the Euro or American Lager?
Just ordered some flaked maize and rice and fancied the American but with a few more hops.
Cheers
I did the American lager last year, tasty pint, mine attenuated but still tasted quite sweet. The hop additions are spot on in the recipe.

My first AG lager was the light lager from the same book, the keg lasted all of a week!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Looking forward to hearing how you get on. I plan to do a Greg Hughes lager soon but unsure of what one.

I prefer European lagers to US though.

If it all goes well, can you let us know your process? Haven't made a lager before and there seems to be a fair few different methods.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on. I plan to do a Greg Hughes lager soon but unsure of what one.

I prefer European lagers to US though.

If it all goes well, can you let us know your process? Haven't made a lager before and there seems to be a fair few different methods.

I will do, you may not want to follow it though!
I plan to throw in two Bohieman lager yeasts,fermentables and hops still to decide 👍

Watch out when using breakfast cereals they are fortified with added iron which can give a very strange taste when used in large quantities.

At my HB club they made several breakfast cereal beers where the cereals made up about half of the grist and all of them were ruined by the strong metallic taste from the iron in the cereals.

I look out for that off flavour then, as I have a light pseudo lager in the brewbag fermenting at the mo. I used about 27% ASDA cornflakes. It'll be a shame if that's what happens as it's a stupidly cheap brew to make.

Back