Oxford teacher faces action over 'misgendering' pupil

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
he had answered a student’s question on marriage by saying the Bible described it as being between a man and a woman, prompting a complaint about homophobia

He said the bible described it as between a man and a woman not that it was his belief how can that be homophobic?

On a side note, I think that there is a "cause" to the rise in transgender people. There is nothing wrong with people identifying as a different gender to their birth

I agree but wonder how many of the people are saying they are transgender because its the latest fad, the sharp rise in the figures in my OP doesnt make any sense to me.

You are born either a girl or a boy how can anyone lose their job because a person is offended that they didn't call them what they are not.

Yet again this video fits the thread.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceS_jkKjIgo[/ame]

@Chippy_Tea

I think it's more likely that the fact we are more accepting of it these days means people are more likely to come out.

It's hard to put into words the sort of abuse people get simply for being trans. The friend I mentioned in my earlier post lives in Manchester, a large, multicultural, metropolitan city. A couple of weeks ago he was waiting for a bus, and a random woman, a complete stranger, decided they had the right to demand to know whether my friend is "a man or a woman". My friend decided gwtting the bus was not that important, and walked off up the road. The woman followed him, aggressively demanding an answer to her question and generally yelling abuse.

This is not the first time such a situation has occurred. Less extreme examples occurr quite frequently. I can't see people putting themselves in that position on a whim.

Apologies, didn't mean to cause offence. Just found the different reporting angle interesting, as in there was more to it that a simple slip of the tongue.

Not at all buddy, I’m just saying when it turns into an argument involving the Bible (Russ??? I’m looking at you here 😁) the thread get locked.
Good spot regarding the article 👍

@Chippy_Tea
The woman followed him, aggressively demanding an answer to her question and generally yelling abuse.
This is not the first time such a situation has occurred. Less extreme examples occurr quite frequently. I can't see people putting themselves in that position on a whim.

Surely that is not the behaviour of a normal person and its obviously wrong.

Out of curiosity as i have never (to the best of my knowledge) seen a trans gender male in our small town does your friend wear female clothes and makeup when they are out and about?

My son has just made a timely entrance as i was posting the above, i asked him if he knew any transgender people (he is at college) and he said loads, i asked how many of the lads he knew dress as a girl (woman's clothes and make up) and he said non, the ones he knows dress in unisex clothes leaning towards the feminine side and may wear a bit of eye liner but not heavy makeup, i realise there will be genuine cases where people believe they should have been born the opposite sex but several fashions over the years have seen blokes wear unisex clothes and makeup are we just seeing another version of this in some cases?

Surely that is not the behaviour of a normal person and its obviously wrong.

Out of curiosity as i have never (to the best of my knowledge) seen a trans gender male in our small town does your friend wear female clothes and makeup when they are out and about?

No, he dresses and presents as a man. He was born female. He has had breast reduction surgery and is undergoing hormone replacement therapy.

No it isn't, and incidences that extreme are comparatively rare, but still happen multiple times a year. Smaller incidences are much more common.

I'm sure the liberals would accuse me of homophobia but since I enjoy the priviledge of freedom of speech

Edit by C-T

We all know what the bible says about homosexuality so there is no need to poke the hornets nest again this thread is about trans gender people and will stay on topic.

"In the womb, all babies start as girls" ..............this is unscientific twaddle! The sperm determines the gender. I either has 2 X chromosomes, in which case the baby is female or an X and a Y, which will give you a male baby. Male sperm swim slightly quicker hence more boys are born than girls.

Apologies, I thought this was fact. The point I was making is still valid though in that gender isn't as straight forward as what organ someone has ie my point regarding people intersex. They make a decision based on what they believe is best.

Not the main issue here but I think the education system and media are training people to be professional victims. If you remember the early link in the depression thread the way education now tells everyone they are always a winner and its all non competitive, so when anything happens there 1st call is it can't be me I'm perfect so I must be being oppressed. This is especially present in minority groups such as LBGT. If you want to get in in life after education you should get used to people who don't agree with you opinions (or what gender you are) or you will always be a professional victim.

"In the womb, all babies start as girls" ..............this is unscientific twaddle! The sperm determines the gender. I either has 2 X chromosomes, in which case the baby is female or an X and a Y, which will give you a male baby. Male sperm swim slightly quicker hence more boys are born than girls.

That last line leads me to believe you're joking, but just in case...

It is scientific fact, not twaddle. That seam up the underside of your ballsack? That's where the proto-vagina closed up. The fact I know you have one without having to look ought to give you a clue here.

oneflewover - spare me the righteous lecture of martyrdom, I work in the public sector! I'm 10 years in, and have a wife who is a teacher, so I'm perfectly aware of the day to day struggles...

My ACTUAL point was that the child would be fine in the public sector because if they one day decided to identify as the opposite sex, public sector employers would support that choice.

No need to leap down people's throats now is there? :nono:

Dear Saisonator - sorry if I came across as sanctimonious, I meant to come across as fed up. Fed up of 'public sector bashing' by people who don't have a clue. After all, we don't get bonuses, performance related pay and free Christmas parties :whistle:

Apologies if I misinterpreted your post, and I certainly didn't mean to leap down anyone's throat :thumb:

I have trans friends, and I understand how hurtful it can be for them to be misgendered. And I don't think it's much to ask that people make an effort to use their preferred pronoun. Not making any effort is frankly just being a dick.

That said, they're usually pretty understanding if it is genuinely an accident. I have one friend I consistently misgender when speaking about in the past tense, because I knew him before he came out let alone transitioned, so in my memories he's a girl. And he understands that.

If the guy makes an effort and merely misspoke, and has apologised, then let it go.

see, you lost me completely there, so I would definitely upset the flowers

Plenty of helpers there to pick you up...even if by a gnats conker they may be blokes. ...
On a serious note. .my cali common IS a bit over carbed!

Why on earth would someone born with male bits imagine that they're anything other than male? I was born with only two arms but really believe that I should have been born an octopus. Do the NHS have a 'species realignment department' which could arrange for me to have six more stitched on to complete the delusion?

Reliable as ever mate 👍
Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back