Yeast question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comicbookguy75

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I am brewing this RIS recipe this weekend (as over time I happened to get the ingredients spare and now have them all) http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/49/
I realise it will probably be volcanic and am prepared for that. My question is around the yeast. I decided that instead of pitching the yeast that came with the cans, 2 of which are out of date now, I'd get a couple of WYeast Activator 1056 Liquid yeast packs.
Question is do I throw in these only, or should I use 2 of the liquid yeast and the one from the pack of dark ale that is still in date?

Weird question I realise, just trying to improve my brew though.

cheers in advance.

I would chuck all three packets in. More yeast the better for a beer like this.

EDIT: to clarify, this is in addition to the liquid yeast

One pack of 1056 and a 2 litre starter prepared on a stir plate should be enough according to the calculator assuming SG about 1.100 and your pack is about a month old. You could keep the dry yeast as a backup if you get stuck which I think is less likely with a properly prepared starter.

Without a starter you're going to need mucho yeast. The calculator thinks 370bn cells are appropriate and there's 100bn in each liquid pack at the date of manufacture. No idea what's in the kit yeast dry packs.

+1 for building up a starter from the liquid yeast, while it will no doubt contain lots of viable yeast, the age, storage and transit conditions it suffered until arriving in your hands are unknown. best imho to hedge all your bets and build the population up..

If pitching from a starter built from a liquid source any dry sprinkled yeast wouldnt stand a chance to establish imho. tho 'out of date' vac packed dry yeast isnt really out of date until a few years past the date printed.. its only labeled with such a date due to being classified as a food source,, Now will this bit of bureaucratic nonsense be resolved with brexit?? bollox will it..

while a dme liquor is ideal for starters white sugar(sucrose) 100g made upto 1l of liquor will work just as well, and a chemically sanitised 2l pet bottle with a cotton wool bung or foil cap (filled to 1l) with regular swirls will do a good job, just let the yeast settle when the liquor is spent (check gravity) and decant off most of the spent liquor before you pitch the yeast slurry..

edit for a 2l starter split into 2x 2l pop bottles when your 1st 1l of liquor is spent.. ;)

Hi guys, thanks for the answers. Got it going yesterday. Used both liquid yeast and two of the dried yeast packs that I re-hydrated first. SG was 1.095 it's been on 20 hours now and the Krausen is still growing...lol

wCafeUm.jpg

Had a taste when checking the SG and it was lovely.. This is probably going to be my Easter, or even next Christmas beer I reckon.

Hi chaps,

I am brewing this RIS recipe this weekend (as over time I happened to get the ingredients spare and now have them all) http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/49/
I realise it will probably be volcanic and am prepared for that. My question is around the yeast. I decided that instead of pitching the yeast that came with the cans, 2 of which are out of date now, I'd get a couple of WYeast Activator 1056 Liquid yeast packs.
Question is do I throw in these only, or should I use 2 of the liquid yeast and the one from the pack of dark ale that is still in date?

Weird question I realise, just trying to improve my brew though.

cheers in advance.

mangrove jacks saison re-hydrated (10g) did 21 litres of 12.86% no problems took 3 weeks though :lol:

Hi guys, thanks for the answers. Got it going yesterday. Used both liquid yeast and two of the dried yeast packs that I re-hydrated first. SG was 1.095 it's been on 20 hours now and the Krausen is still growing...lol

Is that a trick of the camera angle or has the krausen level dropped below that huge crust leaving it hanging there?

Latest posts

Back