rose hip wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive not tasted anything yet, but picked a load a few weeks ago.
Ive gone for Hips and Haws cos they grow together
Its a long term project as it takes over a year to mature.

This is what I found on the web

Winemaking Ingredients: Hawthorn Wine - Wine Making Guides
4 pints hawthorn berries
3 lb / 1,350 grams sugar
1 lb / 450 grams sultanas
Citric acid
Campden tablet
Yeast energizer
Water up to 1 gallon
Wine yeast

rose hip wine is considered by some to be second in quality only to grape wines. Others may feel less strongly about it, but all agree that a good, mature rose hip wine is very good indeed. Pick 2 to 3-1/2 pounds of rose hips per gallon of wine. The bottled wine must age at LEAST two years to mature to its potential. Young rose hip wine will be almost undrinkable.

· 3-1/2 pounds of rose hips
· 2-2/3 lbs finely granulated sugar
· 7-1/3 pts water
· 1 tsp acid blend
· 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
· 1 tsp yeast nutrient
· Montrachet wine yeast
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques46.asp
Put the water on to boil. Meanwhile, cut the stems and ends off the rose hips. Chop the hips coarsely, put in nylon straining bag, and tie bag closed. Put bag and sugar in primary. Pour boiling water over these and stir well to dissolce sugar. Cover primary and set aside to cool. When room temperature, add pectic enzyme, acid blend and yeast nutrient. Recover and set aside 12 hours. Add yeast. Stir twice daily for 8-9 days. Drain and squeeze bag to extract juice. Pour juice into secondary. Fit airlock and set in dark place for 6 weeks. Rack into sterilized secondary, top up and refit airlock. Return to dark place and rack again after 3 months, top up and refit airlock. Return to dark place for 3 months. If wine has not cleared, fine with gelatin, wait two weeks, and rack again. When clear, bottle. Age additional 18-24 months in dark place. [Adapted recipe from Steven A. Krause's Making Wines from the Wild]
http://www.wine-making-guides.com/rose_hip_wine.html

Winemaking Ingredients: Rose Hip Wine - Wine Making Guides
2 1/2 lb / 1,100 grams fresh rosehips
1 lemon
1 orange
3 lb / 1,350 grams sugar
Pectin enzyme
Water up to 1 gallon
Yeast nutrient
Wine yeast

A good berry id site

http://www.countrylovers.co.uk/wfs/wfsberries.htm

Just made one lot and did what you did yesterday and picked a kilo more.
I have some pictures but I don't know how to insert them. I think this might work

PA110254.jpg

That's the wife the Porkessa de Poop picking them on the Grand Union Canal a couple of mile up from Kibworth Leics (for any of you watching Michael Wood's story of an English Village at the moment).

PA110259.jpg

I whizzed about a kilo of hips and 500g of sultanas up in a food processor and added 1 gallon of boiling water to them in a bucket and left them overnight. Then added yeast already started in a milk bottle the night before, a cup of strong tea for tannin, the juice of a lemon for acid and a 1/4 tsp of tomato puree as yeast nutrient, lastly a tsp of pectin enzyme. Fermented on the pulp for a week then strained into a demijohn to remove solids. Currently fermenting very well.

PA120260.jpg

I made this some years ago and it had a lovely rich licorice taste. Very warming and wintery.
I will let you know how it turns out.
Porkbeast.

Snort!

Oh by the way I dissolved a kilo of sugar in the boiling water as well!

Porky

Snort!

I have 6 lb of them ready to start my wine tomorrow.. that looks great pb lovely colour too. I managed to get a load more sloe's too we have 2 of gin and 2 of vodka and the gin taste's fab already.. so more in the freezer to make more (greedy girl) :drink: :party:

I now have 3 gallon of rose hip wine on the go in my kitchen and it smells terrific. :thumb:

Those three pics look very similar to mine hehe
119391.jpg

119392.jpg

121297.jpg

Warm Rosehip wine with a dash of ginger makes a wonderful winter drink.

Is that a reflection of itch on the demijohn elzorillo?

I think I know what you have done with the fibers from the rose hips ;)

Hi all hope you all had a good and jolly C/mass and may I take this oppotunity to say Happy New Year too.. :cheers:

My Roeship wine is still fermenting sssllloowwwlly but still going.. :hmm:

I thought I would revive this old thread since there are loads of rose hips around right now, and I wanted to find out how people's rose hip wine turned out since the recipe calls for it to be matured for two years, so it should be ready to drink about now!

Incidentally I picked a few hips today just to examine and was disappointed to find that although they look lovely and juicy, when you cut them open the red flesh is just a casing about 1mm thick and the entire interior consists of tightly packed hairy seeds! So very little to ferment, and I understand that the seeds are bitter and the hairs a known irritant! This wine would have to be pretty good for me to take the plunge and try and do something with these weird fruit!

Will be starting my rose hip wine this weekend using the second recipe listed.

Raisins provide extra body to the finished wine, and also provide extra fermentables. Put them in a blender with some water, blitz until you have a loose paste, then stir into the wine.

Pleased to see this thread commented on as the last poster said, its the autumn and theres so much free food ourdoors. Ive cooked with rosehips and made jam, jekly, syrup and chutney with hips. They look nice and juicy but when cut open you will indeed see only skin, seeds and hairs. This is normal as the hip does not contain juice until its cooked when it breaks down. Some folk worry about the brown colour after cooking, again this is normal though i cheat when i do the syrup as i add red colouring to give it that classic delrosa colour. Dont panic about the hairs and the seeds, they are strained out after use and the seeds have no flavour or bitterness but they do contain pectin as though in small amounts.

Latest posts

Back