Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Brewdays! > Brewnight: Strawberry and Lime TC

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 14-08-2017, 06:48 PM   #31
Deltabrew

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by private4587 View Post
My question here is that my two TC's on the go are just about finished in the fermenter. I am away on hols for two weeks and was wondering if it would be Ok to leave in the fermenter until i return, and would i still be able to batch prime then.
If you want fizz you need to bottle now, if you leave it two weeks it will clear, but will likely be flat even after adding sugar.

Old 27-09-2017, 09:39 AM   #32
Deltabrew

Have you had any more thoughts on why TC can't be resuscitated by sugar after a certain time Roddy? Giving a little bit of thought I think it has to be something in either the yeast with sweetener in it or the apple juice....
Any thoughts?

Old 27-09-2017, 12:12 PM   #33
MattH1973

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 21

just stumbled across this debate. FWIW (and I'm an interested novice only) I like the theory that bottling when cloudy means more yeast is present to chew through the priming sugar.

I'm currently considering how to condition the 25 litre batch of cider from apples that I kicked off at the weekend. Bottle conditioning worked well for me last year but I might leave 5 litres or so in a demijohn all winter and see what happens when I bottle. I have always worried about oxidation when leaving in a demijohn long term as there presumably wouldn't be a layer of CO2 sitting above the cider. Maybe I'll add a bit of sugar or more juice to that batch to trigger just a bit more fermentation.......

Old 27-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #34
needmorstuf

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 33

just like to confirm everyones findings.. I had a similar failur eof priming with some prosecco I left to clear too much, i did a further batch and left it to clear about 50% of the way down the DJ (the bottom half of the DJ was a lot hazier than the top half) and it primed just fine.

Old 27-09-2017, 06:05 PM   #35
Deltabrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH1973 View Post
just stumbled across this debate. FWIW (and I'm an interested novice only) I like the theory that bottling when cloudy means more yeast is present to chew through the priming sugar.

I'm currently considering how to condition the 25 litre batch of cider from apples that I kicked off at the weekend. Bottle conditioning worked well for me last year but I might leave 5 litres or so in a demijohn all winter and see what happens when I bottle. I have always worried about oxidation when leaving in a demijohn long term as there presumably wouldn't be a layer of CO2 sitting above the cider. Maybe I'll add a bit of sugar or more juice to that batch to trigger just a bit more fermentation.......
I once left some in a bucket for too long, it grew a gossamer thin layer of brittle white stuff over the top

Old 27-09-2017, 06:09 PM   #36
Deltabrew

It seems to be a very fine balancing act, you've got to catch it just at that right point and bottle it (with just the right amount of or without sugar). I got it bang on with the last TC I made and hoping to do it again. It had settlement in the bottle of course, but that was the only side effect.
I've been both sides of this point too with flat cider and bottle bombs

Old 28-09-2017, 07:14 AM   #37
MattH1973

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 21

as long as you check fermentation has completed with a hydrometer pre bottling I would hope that bombs can be avoided. My understanding is that if there's only a tsp of sugar for the yeast to chew through then it doesn't matter how strong the yeast is - it will simply finish the sugar before creating a bomb.....

I'm leaning toward just a week in secondary and then bottling. That will hopefully limit the sediment and I will still get a fizz / preservative. The Christmas turbo cider I made last October seems to have preserved fine over the last year, slight fizz - mellowing nicely.

Old 28-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #38
Deltabrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH1973 View Post
as long as you check fermentation has completed with a hydrometer pre bottling I would hope that bombs can be avoided. My understanding is that if there's only a tsp of sugar for the yeast to chew through then it doesn't matter how strong the yeast is - it will simply finish the sugar before creating a bomb.....

I'm leaning toward just a week in secondary and then bottling. That will hopefully limit the sediment and I will still get a fizz / preservative. The Christmas turbo cider I made last October seems to have preserved fine over the last year, slight fizz - mellowing nicely.
Everything must be the same for a consistent result, temperature included and that is where I'm finding it a bit difficult as I don't have much to control that. Back in Summer it went fine just sat on the kitchen floor - 2 weeks and bottled IIRC, but obviously now the temp is much lower so it's taking longer. I've currently got all my brews sat on the heated floor in the bathroom to bring fermentation back to a suitable level.

To go back to what we are discussing though and that is there seems to be a point of no return where adding sugar in just doesn't create fizz any longer.

Old 28-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #39
Roddy

Liked 369 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Yeh I've not done too much to alter the priming process apart from adding a little more sugar on occasion

I'll generally try and prime/bottle before it starts to clear too much now. There has to be truth in the opinion that cloudy = yeasties

Bottling my rhubarb and ginger TC tonight, 23L with 350g sugar dissolved in a cup of warm water

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Condng: 3L of Mead (Sep-16)

Drinking: RGJ/Elderberry WOW, Blackcurrant TC, Strawberry WOW, Rhubarb and Ginger TC
Next up: Rasp/Blackberry TC, some WOW or other Rhubarb probably

All me recipes at:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqD9OOcGhwesm0Sn3Uv3VMozWHVS