Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewing "How-To" Guides > How to build a stir plate for less than ten quid

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 18-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #251
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Liked 898 Times on 599 Posts
Likes Given: 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCat View Post
I cant get a decent vortex going like the one in photo on first page. I have a large stir bar, 35mm so perhaps its too heavy. Any suggestions?
I'm not sure tbh, though I wonder would a smaller fan run quicker. I use a 95mm fan and it gets a decent vortex going. That being said, you don't really need much of a vortex, as long as you're getting a dimple in the surface it should be enough to keep the yeast in suspension.

Old 18-09-2017, 10:10 AM   #252
Fil

Liked 859 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 26

afaik the ideal situation is to have the magnets a similar distance apart, as the length of the stir bar employed, that way the poles of the stir bar have the closest attraction possible to the magnets that drive its motion.

Old 18-09-2017, 10:39 AM   #253
foxbat

Liked 152 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie View Post
Cheers guys. @JapanBrew I hadn't thought of that. I've probably got some stain knocking about in the shed.
You can just plonk the unit on a makeshift standoff in a flat bottom frying pan then lay a strip of clingfilm on top of it. Any overspill will run off the clingfilm into your pan.
Budgie Likes This 
Old 18-09-2017, 05:35 PM   #254
nigelnorris
Beavis at Bat

Liked 225 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCat View Post
I cant get a decent vortex going like the one in photo on first page. I have a large stir bar, 35mm so perhaps its too heavy. Any suggestions?
I use a 35mm bar no problem. I've cut a hole in my container and used magnets that are thick enough to be raised into the dimple in the base of the flask. It's only a couple of mm but makes it run a lot more stable.

Someone asked earlier about running a 5L demijohn, I reckon this method of raising the magnets up would work for one of those too. Depends on the shape of the dimple probably, on a flask the base is raised a bit but also flat so raising the magnets into it works fine, probably different if a container uses a convex base.
strange-steve Likes This 
Old 18-09-2017, 07:45 PM   #255
BeerCat

Liked 667 Times on 553 Posts
Likes Given: 951

Success at last. Found a smaller fan (80mm) i managed to repair and my 25mm stir bar. Sure works now as you can see. Cannot turn this on full. I will get a smooth bar next and look for a box I. Cant wait to try my first starter on it. Thanks for all the help!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7020.jpg  

Conditioning Dry Irish Stout with CML US yeast

Drinking American Stout, Punk IPA, Kolsch x2, German Lager x2, Mild, Brown Porter, Mead, Melomel
People Like This 
Old 26-09-2017, 11:46 AM   #256
BeerCat

Liked 667 Times on 553 Posts
Likes Given: 951

Finally using mine. I couldnt find a suitable box so i put some lego together on top of the fan. Works for now. First starter i made didn't seem to do much. I was thinking it wasn't working but i decanted it and added more wort and its going like the clappers. I bought a few packs of cheap yeast WLP0029 and WLP800 so its been really interesting watching it revive itself.
I was watching some videos of people making thee and i noticed some are using hard drive magnets. They seem a lot stronger and one used a 50 or 60mm sit bar and the thing was stuck to it like a rock. Made me think you could probably get away with a DJ if you use stronger magnets. One man only used 1 magnet and it worked. That was a curved HD one. Also the magnets seem to be far more powerful that the stir bars. I doubt they contain neodymium which is a shame as they would be far more efficient.
Going to build another one with flashing lights on!

Conditioning Dry Irish Stout with CML US yeast

Drinking American Stout, Punk IPA, Kolsch x2, German Lager x2, Mild, Brown Porter, Mead, Melomel
strange-steve Likes This 
Old 29-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #257
AlanManley

Liked 174 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I'm Stoll awaiting a speed control thingy. Second I've ordered and not arrived.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Tags
cheap stir plate, how to make stir plate, stir plate