Fullers ESB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmarc

Regular.
Reaction score
Iv been wanting to do this recipe for a while now, a Fullers ESB from Clone Brews. :thumb:

Brew length 23L

MO Pale Malt 4.970kg
Crystal Malt 410g (Lovely stuff :drink: )
Aromatic Malt 70g
Amber Malt 70g
Flaked Maize 230g

Target 90 mins IBU 44
Chalenger & Nortdown (Flavour) 15 mins
Goldings (Aroma)

Yeast;- Danstar Windsor
The recipe has been scaled up from a 19L brew length :drink: & the estimated OG comes out a little high according to Promash @1.060 with 75% brewhouse efficiancy :wha: I am not sure weather to reduce the ingredients or see what OG I end up with & dilute if necessary at the end, as I want to end up with a % ABV of approx 5.5 :wha: any advice on this :?: I am also not sure What the attenuation of this yeast is likely to be:?: :cheers:

IMHO it is always better to end up with stronger wort that you can dilute, rather than being disappointed with weak wort that you may be tempted to add sugar to.
As you get more used to your equipment you will build an idea of your average brewhouse efficiency and you will then be able to formulate your recipes around this :thumb:
With an OG of 1.060 and a yeast like windsor with medium attenuation you are likely to end up with an abv of 6.1% :D

Thanks for the info :thumb: on that I will leave the recipe as is & see what I get :pray: after all if I need to dilute I get more beer :party: :grin:

Why are you using Windsor yeast? :? The profile of that yeast is a bit wrong(IMO) for ESB. And Windsor makes me fart my **** off. You want the flavour profiles of ESB yeast to bring out the sweet malty flavours of the grains with ESB i reckon. ESB yeast is a great yeast and should be used when doing clones of London pride or ESB as it's close to what Fullers actually use.

Don't say i didn't warn you about the farting issue with Windsor...

But good luck with your brew nonetheless :thumb:

Im at a dilemma now :hmm: I have to bow to your better knowlage. I also have a Nottingham in the cupboard, would that be any better what would you reccomend? as I probably wont have time to do a starter,

Definately go with the Nottingham ;)

Save the Windsor for a brew to give to your friends :lol:

Latest posts

Back