Bottle conditioned lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Ed

Landlord.
Reaction score
I batch prime and bottle all my beers; with my lagers I have left them at room temperature, as I normally do with ales, and also put them in a cool cellar to condition and although this takes longer, I haven't noticed any difference in taste between the two methods. I've mostly been using WLP833. What's the general concensus? :cheers:

Have you tried the difference (lagers) from bottling then conditioning and lagering then bottling then conditioning ? I've just done an oktoberfest and its in the lagering process 3 weeks to go before bottling , i was wondering if much of a difference :)

Unfortunately my fridge packed up so I'm not able to lager, but I have a cellar which is about 10-12C at this time of the year. The last beer I lagered was a Classic American Pilsner, and am due to bottle my second attempt with the same recipe, so I'll see if there is any noticable difference without lagering. My understanding is that best practice is to lager the whole batch in a FV rather than bottling and then lagering. If you use a clean yeast then you're half way there in the lagering process.

I have a place for only 1 fv in my freezer, so most of my lagers sits in cellar temp for 3 months (i brew 6-7 during winter, of which only 2 are lagered). Those lagered are ready quickier, but not much, perhaps 2 months.

People tasting these warm conditioned say some esters are noticeable. But anyway, i don't care.

Latest posts

Back