So what have I missed....??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RubbleUK

Reaction score
Just taken the plunge on my first home brew order:

25 ltr Fermenting Bin & Lid x 2
Five Star Star San 16oz / 454g
Better Brew Czech Pilsner Home Brew Kit
Better Brew Export Lager HomeBrew Kit
Brewing Sugar 1kg x 5
Stevenson Wine / Beer Hydrometer
Long plastic paddle
Syphon tap
Latstock Hard Syphon and Sediment Trap 14"
Syphon pvc tubing 5/16" (8mm) bore 2m

I'm going to use 2L fizzy drink bottles for conditioning as I've got loads already here but apart from that, have I forgotten anything?

Chris

1. Thermometer
2. Air-lock (not essential)
3. Little Bottler (makes bottling simple)

looks good. bottling valve might help for your syphon tube, like the one on the right here;

BELLOWS-SIPHON.jpg

just one for the future really. good luck mate!

you don't need a thermometer for kit brews really, room temp is fine ;)

Note: the Little Bottler may not work with 2l bottles. I don't think it'll be long enough.

Thought I'd got it sussed.....?? Plenty of food for thought so thanks for the prompt inputs!

Chris

oz11 said:
Turkey baster to retrieve samples from FV for checking the gravity (make sure it's clean and sanitised first).

Good call but I was planning on using the sterilised hydrometer in the FV on brew day and once it stops bubbling to check the OG change? Siphoning/bottling is on my list to review based on experience and I've got plenty of thermometers already.

I forgot to add deionised water for the Star San, £1.43 for 2.5 litres at Tesco, plus a house plant atomiser to spray my FVs with.

Anything else?

Chris

+ 1 for that, temp control imho is the most important aspect of fermentation, you don't want your brew to go above 21c no matter what the instructions say. Fusel alcohols are inevitable above 22-23c and so are the hangovers caused by it :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

graysalchemy said:
+ 1 for that, temp control imho is the most important aspect of fermentation, you don't want your brew to go above 21c no matter what the instructions say. Fusel alcohols are inevitable above 22-23c and so are the hangovers caused by it :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks for that. Just out of interest, apart from varying the fermentation rate is there any other impact fermentation temperature (or conditioning for that matter) has on the end product?

Chris

If you change the temp the yeast may motabolise a different way and the out come although it will ultimately produce alcohol will produce a multitude of other by products some of which are undesirable to flavour and as I have already said fusel alcohols which cause hangovers. Fermentation is very complex with many pathways and intermediate stages before the alcohol is produced. It is not only alcohol produced but many of the flavour components of the beer. The initial fisrt few days are crucial and be also aware that fermentation is exothermic.

If you place it somewhere with a fairly constant temp between 18 and 21c you should be fine.

Hope that helps

graysalchemy said:
If you change the temp the yeast may motabolise a different way and the out come although it will ultimately produce alcohol will produce a multitude of other by products some of which are undesirable to flavour and as I have already said fusel alcohols which cause hangovers. Fermentation is very complex with many pathways and intermediate stages before the alcohol is produced. It is not only alcohol produced but many of the flavour components of the beer. The initial fisrt few days are crucial and be also aware that fermentation is exothermic.

If you place it somewhere with a fairly constant temp between 18 and 21c you should be fine.

Hope that helps

Thanks. I've been monitoring my fermentation location and it's consistently been between 17.8'C and 18.6'C over the last 48 hours measured 5 or 6 times during the day. Bearing in mind I'm going to be brewing a pilsner/export lager, I assume this will be OK?

Chris

Latest posts

Back