Help with wows.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chojo

Reaction score
Hi guys, sat watching telly last night and suddenly remembered two wow's i had made and left in the shed after racking to a second dj. Went out this morning and they're both still a little cloudy after about 7 weeks, i also realised i hadn't topped them up, i've tasted both and they're really dry. Can i top up, add finings and back sweeten now without any issues or is there a point where it really is too late to do things.
If it helps i made a white with apple, elderflower and grape juice and a rose with grape juice and cranberry. Any thoughts appreciated.

chojo said:
Can I top up, add finings and back sweeten now without any issues?
Go ahead :thumb:

The rest has probably done them good.

You can top up with either grape juice or a boiled and cooled sugar solution, assuming you have already added Campden tablets and sorbate stabiliser.

Moley said:
chojo said:
Can I top up, add finings and back sweeten now without any issues?
Go ahead :thumb:

The rest has probably done them good.

You can top up with either grape juice or a boiled and cooled sugar solution, assuming you have already added Campden tablets and sorbate stabiliser.

Thanks for that, i'm going for a medium sweet wine so i'm looking at using 50g of sugar does that sound about right? it is vey dry.

You need 28g of sugar to raise 1 litre by 10 gravity points, or 2.8g per point.

So if you've got a gallon of very dry wine (0.990) and want to bring it up to medium sweet (which I would class as 1.005), then that's 15 gravity points.

4.5 (litres) x 15 (points) x 2.8g =189g to add.

I like medium sweet wines, and I use 180 grams of sugar to back sweeten. I only did a rough working out with it, but Moleys calculations are far more accurate then mine.

About leaving your wine for 7 weeks, my best ever WOWs were left bulk maturing for just over 2 months because I didn't have the time to bottle them, and the difference between a new one and one that is a couple of months old is massive! Well worth the wait and you won't be disappointed!

Thanks for the help guys, i've added everything now and just have to wait for it to clear again as i forgot i hadn't racked it a second time so there was still quite a lot of sediment on the bottom!

Brain like a sieve can you believe I still haven't bottled these I'm really gonna have to do this soon as the Demi johns are stacking up and I need to get the Christmas wines on!

Latest posts

Back