Imperial Russian stout from a kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowl sprayer

Reaction score
Any ideas on how to butcher a kit stout to produce this result?

Is it even possible without attempting an AG brew?

Thanks

I've a 4 year old RIS that is mellowing with age.....admittedly AG. I'm still not sure they are my thing tbh though. Not that I would discourage anyone from brewing one.
I think you got to view them as seriously long term.

Got you. My son is 12. If I get a brew on now it might be ready for his 18th birthday!

Thanks for the tip.

I made one with 2 Coopers Stout Kits (I think I used the Irish Stout), 1KG DME, 1KG Sugar and I added 500g Cocoa Powder (I think). At 18 months old it is still improving but tasting very. I wasnt really that drinkable till at least a year.

I think the sugar in it is the bit that stops it ageing well. I made one with a load of muscavado in a couple of years ago and it took ages to mature - it's still doing it. I also made one this year that is already superb and that only had a large grain bill and a kilo of dme. Has anybody else found this?

You need some sugar in the recipe IMO.
This will help you get a reasonable final gravity and prevent the beer from being sweet and cloying.

calumscott said:
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&p=263113

I'm still not convinced by it. I fear it may be going backwards... :(

You mean the bottle that you gave me which I am saving for a special occasion should be drunk :eek: :eek:

Better find a special occasion then :lol: :lol:

boozy_shoes said:
I think the sugar in it is the bit that stops it ageing well. I made one with a load of muscavado in a couple of years ago and it took ages to mature - it's still doing it. I also made one this year that is already superb and that only had a large grain bill and a kilo of dme. Has anybody else found this?

They will take a long time to mature 2-3 years. If you think about it they have a lot of strong flavours with hop bitterness, grain bitterness, the high levels of alcohol which can appear harsh and sweetness all fighting, they take time to mellow and smooth out.

graysalchemy said:
calumscott said:
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&p=263113

I'm still not convinced by it. I fear it may be going backwards... :(

You mean the bottle that you gave me which I am saving for a special occasion should be drunk :eek: :eek:

Better find a special occasion then :lol: :lol:

Relax, I've got lots of it...

..it is Friday right??

OK so I guess I wasn't in the mood for it the last bottle I opened. It's all good.

I think there are still harsh edges to round out though. Maybe next Christmas...

calumscott said:
..it is Friday right??

OK so I guess I wasn't in the mood for it the last bottle I opened. It's all good.

I think there are still harsh edges to round out though. Maybe next Christmas...

Yup friday seems fine for me, though I will probably have to nurse a hangover at youngest footy game. Good job we are playing at a decent club with excellent bacon butties. :whistle:

I meant today is Friday isn't it? Never mind...

...in the absence of anything else taking my fancy I opened a bottle.

It's perfectly palatable so either sup it if you fancy or keep it for longer if not. I think it's probably got legs yet. I'll try another bottle next month...

I will still try mine friday as I don't have it with me it is hidden somewhere in my office i think :lol: :lol:

Hi aamacle

Thanks for the coopers link. Their suggested recipe has 3 pre-hopped kits in it and the advice is to brew to less than 5 gallons. I am Dubois how that will work out in the final brew.

It seems like this would be a long term commitment and I would not want to invest 2 years in something which from the start is going to be too bitter or taken over by the concentrated hop flavours. I get the point about needing to balance sweetness & malt with hops but I am worried that it would be too much.

I wonder about planning to brew with a coopers stout and maybe the dark ale but not the lager kit (or the other way around) and then add dme + sugar then use hop tea to add any extra hop flavours if I need. I think I have some fugues & EKG lying around.

I have no idea whether that would work.

Back