Hop plant supplier

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought some Target, EKG and Bramling X from Willington last year and they were great.

The yield last year was c. 700g 'green weight' if I remember correctly. Not enough to hop a whole brew but i'll be using mine to dry green hop my Irish Red Ale next time I brew it.
My fingers are firmly crossed hoping that after finding them submerged for 3 months because their pots didn't drain properly hasn't killed them off!

DA

Dear oh dear friend that doesn't sound good can you not plant them in the ground?
There is a field fence I am going to use to plant against so I will have to keep the weeds at bay, year after next if we don't float away I hope to have a good harvest.

That's why mine are contained in pots. We're in a pretty residential area and I didn't really want 30ft Hop vines taking up too much of the garden if I planted them in the ground!
Fingers crossed they are ok now the drainage is sorted out...

I'm only doing kit's at the moment but as I am sorting out the garden I wouldn't mind a few of these :)

Is there any reconsiderations for specific plants? only thinking two or three....

krazypara3165 said:
Is there any reconsiderations for specific plants? only thinking two or three....
That is really only a question you can answer, it comes down to personal taste.
Some like hops that produce an "in your face" harsh bitterness, like American "C" hops.
Others prefer a more traditional English hop.
The hops I grow are:-
Goldings
Fuggles
Brambling Cross
Northdown
This is my personal choice.
If you aske 10 home brewers, you'll get 10 different answers.
If you know which hops your favourite kit uses, you are getting there.

I had a suspicion that would be the answer! I shall look into the profiles of them and try to select three strains that are as different as possible. that way when it comes to doing a proper brew I can split it and try out all three to see the difference and if I like it :)

possibly..... I'm just looking for more stuff to grow in the garden as i have several empty planters lol

To be fair I'm after some unusual plants for the garden anyway and I have acquired a couple of panels of trellis so for the sake of a few quid i cant go too far wrong

Well after checking today I'm pleased to say I have new 2nd year shoots just breaking through on all three hop plants!
Apparently you can't drown them! Phew!
DA

Latest posts

Back