Hops Supplier

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used discount brew.
Plenty of home brew shops online but these cheeky chappies did it free for delivery over £44

Parcel arrived within 3 days and very well packaged.

I ordered the Hallertauer Mittelfruh Hops for aroma

Packaged in vacuum foil pack and currently stored in fridge
COST AROUND £3.30 PER 100G which was fine for me

Was going to try the pellets but these will deffo do for dry hopping

Adios
Taxi ;

Who is everybody using & what is their stock (varieties, freshness and product costs like), delivery (costs & speed)?

Was looking specifically for Citra these seem to be really expensive on that site £6.38 for 100g, I have recently used Cascade from my LHBS these where £3.99 for 100g (they don't stock Citra) I am only looking for hops so don't really wan't to get stung with heavy delivery costs.

The Home Brew Shop are £4.44 for 100g Citra. The postage is £3.12 for orders under 1kg.

Again it is the postage that mounts up if you only want 1 pack

Has anyone thought of using these for dry hopping, they are stainless steel and 9cm (tennis ball sized)?
Infuser.jpg
I expect they will sink to the bottom of the fermentation vessel, would this work?

The malt miller in swindon does them, it says £4.50 on their swebite, it is £1.08 for parcels up to 100g and £3.60 for over 100g. Depends if the hops come under the 100g bracket....

Has anyone thought of using these for dry hopping, they are stainless steel and 9cm (tennis ball sized)?
View attachment 214
I expect they will sink to the bottom of the fermentation vessel, would this work?

I have used them once. With the hops in they actually float on the top so only half gets immersed. I used two with 15g in each. I have now bought two more and will only put about 10g in each next time to allow better circulation, I have also bought some 10mm s/s ball bearings to try a weight then down.

The malt miller in swindon does them, it says £4.50 on their swebite, it is £1.08 for parcels up to 100g and £3.60 for over 100g. Depends if the hops come under the 100g bracket....

I think the 100g is a packed weight so would cost £3.60, I think I am going to use http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/
and probably buy another couple of packs of hops to experiment with was thinking Bramling Cross and First Gold. I recently made a stout with cascade & its really nice just need the hops to come through a little more.

I have used them once. With the hops in they actually float on the top so only half gets immersed. I used two with 15g in each. I have now bought two more and will only put about 10g in each next time to allow better circulation, I have also bought some 10mm s/s ball bearings to try a weight then down.

I am really surprised they would float, are you thinking they would still float with 10g? I bought 3 of them had no idea what weight of hops they would hold.

I was also surprised that they floated although they are not very heavy. I will have to wait and see if they still float with less hops but the ball bearings should sink them if they do.

Thanks for the info let me know how you go on and if it needs the SS ball bearings, I may buy more spheres if 10g is a sensible amount and bearings or ss washers as I expect they will be cheaper if they are required.

I was also surprised that they floated although they are not very heavy. I will have to wait and see if they still float with less hops but the ball bearings should sink them if they do.

I would guess that surface tension is a big force when dry hopping with hop flowers rather than pelletised grains of hops. Very large surface areas and much potential to trap gasses along them.

You can get 25 large glass marbles ("dobbers" in my day) from Poundland and they will be basically inert and easily sanitised. I would trust glass over steel on this one.

I think that is a good call and they where called ("tenners" in my day if you are talking about the double size ones).
Tenners eh? Well if the diameter is twice that of a small one, they would weigh 8 times as much, which is nearly 10 to a small boy or a Chancellor of the Exchequer. :rofl:

Latest posts

Back