Brew 3 - Youngs American Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tefkab

Reaction score
Started it yesterday, no foaming or anything at the top yet, anything to worry about? Followed instructions to the letter, added yeast once temp dropped below 25 C. 1048 OG.

Some yeast activity should be obvious within about 24 hours.

What temperature will it have gone down to overnight?

Any joy? And are you able to put it somewhere that will keep it at 20ish? As steady as possible too.

I did this one a while back and it's a slow starter. Also the fermentation never really got that vigorous - probably due to the American yeast strain used. Turned out great in the end so I wouldn't worry.

My Youngs American ipa took a couple of days to get going and then went absolutely nuts so I wouldn't be too concerned. As @clibit suggests tho, try and get it somewhere warmer.

It's got a few white frothy bits on top but nothing major. I moved it this morning into a warmer room, was 18c when I checked earlier so fingers xd.

That seems to have helped; the whole FV looks like a big pint now [emoji1]

You won't be disappointed by this! It's an amazing end result, lovely and hoppy. Mine turned into a volcano, the yeast went everywhere! But it was in quite a warm room.

This is next up for me.

I'm tempted to start it off in my second FV but i'm going to wait until my Razorback IPA is finished so that I can use my aquarium heater with it to get a decent temp throughout the fermentation.

Anyone going to add any extra hops? I'm thinking of late hopping 50g of Chinook pellets a few days before bottling.

This is next up for me.

I'm tempted to start it off in my second FV but i'm going to wait until my Razorback IPA is finished so that I can use my aquarium heater with it to get a decent temp throughout the fermentation.

Anyone going to add any extra hops? I'm thinking of late hopping 50g of Chinook pellets a few days before bottling.

Its already hoppy,i would say.another 50g of hops would turn it into an IPA and possibly be too much.
But....if you are a real hophead go for it,its a great kit,Youngs are really hitting the spot with these American beers.

Just bottled my Youngs AAA which seems extremeley promising, along with that I hear IPA is really good.

Looks like this range of kits is really producing some good stuff

Started it yesterday, no foaming or anything at the top yet, anything to worry about? Followed instructions to the letter, added yeast once temp dropped below 25 C. 1048 OG.

OG 1048 are you sure ? Mine was 1060 22 litres. It is meant to be a strong one. 1048 will only get you around 5%

Hey all, first post on here, so be gentle!
Been home brewing for about a year now, started slowly with the basic stuff from Wilkos, now upto dry hopping the kits.
Got this one as a gift at xmas. The story so far..
Started up the fermenting process 18 days ago. Now, our kitchen, where the magic happens, is like a furnace even if you just boil the kettle! So everything started a little warm and the bucket ended up outside in the snow to cool down to around 24°c before shaking the yeast in. I'd given everything a real good froth up before doing this.
Bucket went into the back of the diningroom where it hung out at around 16-18°c for the first week. Bubbling was not as vigorous as previous brews, but regular. I was worried about the temp so moved her closer to the radiator and wrapped in a sleeping bag. The bubbling picked up a bit and there she has stayed until tonight's hop addition.
The reason I'm posting is when I popped the lid I got quite a sweet yet stale scent, like a half drunk pint the afternoon after the night before! Anyone else experienced this? I am a worrier when it comes to my beer, so it could just be me!

Most of my brews don't smell great near the end of the time in the fv, usually a strong yeasty smell presumably caused by the krausen residue. I wouldn't worry but if you're concerned you draw a sample and give it a taste.

Most of my brews don't smell great near the end of the time in the fv, usually a strong yeasty smell presumably caused by the krausen residue. I wouldn't worry but if you're concerned you draw a sample and give it a taste.

Thanks DoctorMick, I just worry! None of my previous efforts have smelled like this one, they've always been like home brew! Bottling Sunday, so will test then and let all know the results in a few weeks time.

Back