BIAB Starter Kit (Peco Boiler, Chiller, Mashing bag, Mash Kit)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewdoug

Reaction score
Does anybody with this Peco boiler have problems with it leaking?

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk...iler-chiller-mashing-bag-mash-kit-p-2507.html

I've only had mine just over a week or so and not tried to do a brew with it yet but I just can't stop it leaking around the element. I've got the washer on the outside and tried different degrees of tightness on the nut but it still leaks and if I tighten it too much the washer just distorts and squeezes out from behind the nut.
I've emailed hbc about this and another issue and Shane says he's never heard of this before which I find strange as I don't see what else I could try other than using sealant which I don't want to do.

c905d089df9d081295b1f441579296ee.image.320x320.jpg

i use 2 peco elements in mine and have never had a problem.. although i put the seal on the inside of the boiler because on the element there is a groove that the seal drops into on the element thread.. if you put the seal on the outside i dont think it would sit in the groove

i only fit them hand tight aswell

Does anybody with this Peco boiler have problems with it leaking?

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk...iler-chiller-mashing-bag-mash-kit-p-2507.html

I've only had mine just over a week or so and not tried to do a brew with it yet but I just can't stop it leaking around the element. I've got the washer on the outside and tried different degrees of tightness on the nut but it still leaks and if I tighten it too much the washer just distorts and squeezes out from behind the nut.
I've emailed hbc about this and another issue and Shane says he's never heard of this before which I find strange as I don't see what else I could try other than using sealant which I don't want to do.

c905d089df9d081295b1f441579296ee.image.320x320.jpg

I have this too and have never had any issue with the element attachment and don't even understand the bit about a washer (not much cop on DIY). To me, you get the element and the round thing that screws on. the element goes inside and the single screw on bit goes outside and the electic lead connection can be a bit dodgy but no leaks.

Don't think I have seen what I would think of as a detachable washer.

If you can put up some sort of a picture of what you are doing, I think we can help?

I used some ptfe tape on the thread of the element.
However from https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...gghMAE&usg=AFQjCNF7VKQh35h2afBLPmh6EX3lp6nkdQ

The bin should be checked for leaks using cold water prior to using the heating element for the first time. The tap rubber ‘O’ ring should always be fitted on the outside of the bin – tighten the nut on the inside fully and firmly but do not over tighten to avoid pinching the washer. The element rubber washer should always be fitted on the inside of the bin.

I had the same problem with mine last week when I used it fir the first time, someone told me washer on outside so that's what I did, filled with water and leaked a little. I tried looser, tighter and inbetween then realised the washer was bulging out a little. My remedy was a little fairy liquid on both sides of the washer, that allowed it to slide around and not bulge out. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I'll have a bit more of a play with it and try just hand-tight. Not sure about the Ptfe tape because I don't think the leak is through the thread but it's worth trying.
When I tried boiling water in it earlier it did get bit better once it got hot, probably because the hot washer made a better seal.
I haven't actually asked for a replacement just assumed they are all the same.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I'll have a bit more of a play with it and try just hand-tight. Not sure about the Ptfe tape because I don't think the leak is through the thread but it's worth trying.
When I tried boiling water in it earlier it did get bit better once it got hot, probably because the hot washer made a better seal.
I haven't actually asked for a replacement just assumed they are all the same.

there has been previous posts on this forum about the odd faulty element, where they leak through the welds and through the centre of the element and not pass the seal

Mines fine as well and basically just tightened by hand. To be honest I was surprised how leak free it was from the off. Hope you get it sorted as I've find it to be a nice bit of kit.

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only :wink: - Click here

I used some ptfe tape on the thread of the element.
However from https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...gghMAE&usg=AFQjCNF7VKQh35h2afBLPmh6EX3lp6nkdQ

The bin should be checked for leaks using cold water prior to using the heating element for the first time. The tap rubber ‘O’ ring should always be fitted on the outside of the bin ��" tighten the nut on the inside fully and firmly but do not over tighten to avoid pinching the washer. The element rubber washer should always be fitted on the inside of the bin.

Eureka! Problem solved :razz:

Followed the advice here from wfr42 and put the washer on the inside then just tightened the nut by hand holding it with a cloth for a better grip. No sign of a leak. doh!

I was only putting the washer on the outside because forum posts said it went on the outside and this was confirmed by Shane at hbc. It would appear the washer should go on the opposite side to the nut, hence on the outside for the tap and on the inside for the element. Not sure how the rubber washer will stand up to being regularly boiled but it got pretty hot on the outside anyway.

Many thanks for everyone's contributions. Just need to connect the wort chiller up to the tap now, then move on to setting up my brew fridge which I now have all the components for. (then it would be nice to stop spending money and get on with brewing more beer)

My trug and aquarium heater seems to be a good enough solution for temperature control thus far.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61478&highlight=chiller

Will help you connecting the wort chiller.

Thanks for that.

I've been using a trug and aquarium heater myself thus far. I just wanted the slightly better control of the fridge and the ability to chill. Also it's a neater solution.
I'll probably still use the trug if I'm fermenting more than one brew at the same time.

I'm thinking of moving into the world of AG. I've done a few beer kits but this is not enough and I want more so I'm thinking of moving up to BIAB. I've seen this starter kit which seems good for getting started. All I see is positive reviews which is a good sign but does it have a temperature control or is that something you have to measure separately when you are mashing?

So once you hit mashing temp you just turn off the element, mash in the grain and leave it for 1 hour?

I made a jacket for mine out of an old camping mat, when covered with an old sleeping bag and sat on some polystyrene it keeps temp very well, dropped 2deg yesterday over 90mins, outside as well ! just flick the element on to bring the temp up a little if needed, but I've never needed too :thumb:

IMG_0769.jpg

Would you definitely recommend the starter kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the chiller, what tubing would you recommend to connect it to the tap? Think I'll make use of Christmas and ask for everything I need to save my own expense.

Back