Home Brew Forum Competition Schedule & Style Guide.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The current competition schedule is shown below. Entries must be delivered to the judge by the end of the competition month and results and feedback will be provided shortly after that date. Each months competition will have it's own thread on this forum so if you want to ask any questions please do so in those threads.

Oct-16 IPA - DoctorMick

Nov-16 Pale Ale - Leon103

Dec-16 Wheat Beer - strange-steve

Jan-17 Stout/Porter - peteplus1

Feb-17 Double IPA - jceg316

Mar-17 Belgian Ale - AlanManley

Apr-17 Bitter - TheKitchInn

May-17 SMaSH - ezraburke

Jun-17 Saison - Razor

Jul-17 Light Lagers - Dads_Ale

Aug-17 Experimental - Stigman.

Sep-17 Brown Ale - wfr42

Oct-17 IPA - Hoddy

Nov-17 Low ABV/OG Ale - Ajhutch.

Dec-17 Lambic/Sour - IainM

Jan-18 Stout/Porter

Feb-18 Scottish Ale

Mar-18 Trappist/Abbey ales

Apr-18 Bitter

May-18 Dark/Malty lagers

Jun-18 Imperial Stout

Jul-18 Light Lagers

Aug-18 Mild

Sep-18 Barleywine

If you have any suggestions for the empty months please put them forward here.

Styles will be added as and when new categories are introduced to the competition.

Light Lager
(Includes all light lagers, including lager-based beers which have not been ‘lagered’ as a full fermentation and condition process. Does not include any other beers which might use Pilsner malt but are covered in other HBF Competition style definitions)
Lagers typically have an OG of between 1.040 and 1.060 and an IBU of up to 40. Light lagers typically have a well-balanced malt profile, rounded and smooth, with minimal bitterness. Hop notes, usually spicy, should be balanced and in the background. Beers should be clean with no discernible esters and well attenuated, and whilst many lager vary between sweet and dry, they should not exhibit extremes in body. Lagers are typically light bodied with medium to high carbonation. The lagering process is not essential, but care should be taken to minimise the impact of yeasts on non-lagered lagers!

Dark/Malty Lager
(Includes all dark/malty lagers, including lager-based beers which have not been ‘lagered’ as a full fermentation and condition process. Does not include any other beers which might use Pilsner malt but are covered in other HBF Competition style definitions)
Dark/Malty Lagers typically have an OG of between 1.040 and 1.060 and an IBU of up to 40. However, some derivations such as Bock will achieve OGs of 1.080. Dark and malty lagers exhibit a more malt-forward taste, but retain a clean and crisp finish. Some malt sweetness is acceptable, but should not be cloying. Hop notes, usually spicy, should be balanced and in the background. Beers should be well attenuated, and should be light to medium bodied with medium to high carbonation. The lagering process is not essential, but care should be taken to minimise the impact of yeasts on non-lagered lagers!

Pale Ale
(Includes Pale Ale, Golden Ale, Blonde Ales. Does not include Belgian Pale Ales, IPAs or Double IPAs)
Pale Ales should have an OG of between 1.035 and 1.055 and 20-50 IBUs. Beers should exhibit a medium hop flavour/aroma with hops of any type, and malt should be medium and balanced. Some degree of fruitiness is acceptable. Pale Ales should be drier with a light to medium body. They should be light in colour with medium carbonation.

IPA
(Includes British IPA, American IPA, Black/Brown IPA, Rye IPA, Speciality IPAs. Does not include Double IPAs)
IPAs should have an OG of between 1.050 and 1.070 and an IBU of 40+. Beers should exhibit a hop-forward flavour/aroma typically (but not limited to) using spicy or citric hops. IPAs should be drier with a light to medium body. British IPAs can exhibit fruitier malt flavours. IPAs should be light in colour (Black and Brown variants accepted). Darker IPAs should not have a burned or astringent flavour but should be balanced with enhanced malt character.

Double IPA
(Does not include IPAs as identified in the HBF IPA style guidelines)
Double IPAs should have an OG of between 1.065and 1.090 and an IBU of 60+. Beers should exhibit a hop-forward flavour/aroma typically (but not limited to) using spicy or citric hops. Double IPAs should be drier with a light to medium body. A degree of alcohol warmth is acceptable, but beers should balance the additional strength and hop forwardness with drinkability. If a Double IPA needs to be sipped, it is not a balanced DIPA!

Bitter
(Includes Bitter, Best Bitter and Strong Bitter. Does not include beers as identified in the HBF IPA or Pale Ale style guidelines)
Bitters are typically 1.030-1.050, although strong bitters do run to 1.060, with IBUs of around 30-60. Flavours/aromas should have a degree of hop bitterness, but this should not override the malt character. Typical hop choices are earthy or spicy variants. Bready and biscuit tones are acceptable, as is a floral hopiness. Bitter should be light to medium bodied, and should typically be easy to drink, or ‘sessionable’. Carbonation is low.

Mild
(Includes Mild and Dark Mild. Does not include Brown Porter, Bitter or Brown Ales of any type as identified in the HBF Brown Ale style guidelines)
Traditional Milds are low in alcohol, with OGs of between 1.030 and 1.040, although variants do exist up to 1.060. The flavour is malt-based with a degree of moderate bitterness. IBUs are low, typically 10-20. In some milds, especially darker versions, a small degree of roasted or toast-like flavour is acceptable. Carbonation is traditionally low.

Scottish Ale
(Includes Scottish Light, Scottish Heavy , Scottish Export and Wee Heavy)
Scottish Ale can have an OG of between 1.030 and 1.065, with Light being 1.030-1.040, Heavy being 1.035 to 1.050 and Export being 1.045 to 1.065. The flavour is malt-based, with a degree of sweetness and caramel. IBUs are low, usually under 20 or 30 for Export, with hops used to balance the malt only. Scottish Ales are typically medium bodied with low to medium carbonation. Wee Heavy has an OG of 1.070 to 1.115 and IBUs of up to 35. The beer is sweetish with caramel tones and is rich and malty, with a full to chewy mouthfeel.

Brown Ale
(Includes Newcastle Brown Ale, Southern Brown Ale, Nut Brown Ale and American Brown. Does not include Brown Porter or Brown IPAs)
Brown Ale can have an OG of between 1.040 and 1.060, with strengths increasing from Southern, through Newcastle, with American at the higher end. The flavour is malt-based with a degree of caramel, toffee or even chocolate sweetness, although some bitterness is acceptable. IBUs are low, usually around 20-30, although American Browns using US Hops do go up to 60 IBUs. Body is usually medium to light.

Stout/Porter
(Includes Sweet Stout, Dry Stout, Oatmeal Stout, English Porter and variations of these such as Chocolate, Coffee, etc.. Does not include Imperial Stout or Baltic Porter)
Stouts/Porters should have an OG of between 1.040 and 1.065 and 20-50 IBUs. Stouts/Porters typically exhibit a malt based flavour/aroma with a roasted element more prominent in stouts and a bready/biscuit quality in porters. Hop intensity is generally low to medium, although some use higher amounts to balance the roast elements. Stouts/Porters range from sweet to dry, have medium to full body, and generally have lower levels of carbonation.

Imperial Stout
(Includes Imperial Stout and Baltic Porter. Does not include Stouts/Porters as identified in the HBF Stout/Porter style guidelines)
Imperial Stouts and Baltic Porters should have an OG of between 1.065 and 1.115 and 20-50 IBUs. Imperial Stouts typically exhibit a deep and complex malt based flavour/aroma. Roasted, fruity and warm alcohol tastes are usual. Some degree of burned malt is acceptable if balanced. Hop intensity varies but should balance the roast elements. Full bodied, and even chewy! Baltic Porters are smoother and less roasty than Imperial stouts, but should have good malt complexity. Biscuity or fruity overtones are acceptable. Both have lower levels of carbonation.

Barleywine
(Includes English and American Barleywines)
Barleywines can have an OG of between 1.080 and 1.120, and between 40 and 80 IBUs. Hop additions serve to balance the malt content. The flavour is dominated by malt and can be rich and complex with elements of caramel, toffee, treacle and fruitiness. Depth of flavour increases with aging. Some degree of alcohol warmth is expected. Body is full, and sipping is general accepted as the way to drink these beers.

Wheat Beer
(Includes Weissbier, Dunkel Weissbier, American Wheat Beer, Witbier. Does not include other styles with lower percentages of wheat, Saisons or Wild/Lambic/Sour brews including Berliner Weisse)
Wheat beers should have an OG of between 1.040 and 1.055 (exceptions exist such as Weizenbock which is generally 1.060-1.090) and 5-30 IBUs. American What Beers may have higher IBUs. Wheat Beers typically exhibit flavour/aroma created by yeast and fermentation processes. Malt intensity can be enhanced via decoctions or other methods. Hops are usually noble and in the background (American Wheats aside). Some degree of fruit or spice tones is acceptable, as is tartness, sourness and sharpness, dependent upon the style. Wheat beers should be dry with higher levels of carbonation.

Belgian Ales
(Includes Biere de Garde, Belgian Strong Ales and Belgian Pale Ales. Does not include Trappist/Abbey Ales, Witbier or Saisons)
Belgian Strong Ales are typically 1.060 to 1.090, with low IBUs of 15-35. Spicy hops are typically used to balance malt; while sweetish variants are available, many are medium to dry. Fruity esters are common. Belgian Pale Ales are typically 1.040 to 1.060 with IBUs in the region of 25-35. Flavour/aroma is malty with a fruity twang, although some spice or pepper tines are acceptable. Biere de Garde is typically 1.060 to 1.080, and shares many of the flavours/aromas typical of other Belgian Ales. However, it is lagered to deliver a cleaner taste and lighter body with medium to high carbonation.

Trappist/Abbey Ales
(Does not include Belgian Pale or Strong Ales, Saisons or sour beers other than those in a Trappist style)
Trappist and Abbey Ales ate typically Singles (1.045-1.055),Dubbels (1.050-1.075) and Tripels (1.070-1.085), with low IBUs of around 20-40. Flavours/aromas vary but are usually complex malt with overtones introduced by the yeast and fermentation process. Adjuncts such as Candi Sugar are often used, but this is fermented out to add alcohol warmth and fruity (raisins and plums) backnotes. Clove or pepper hints are also acceptable. Trappist ales are typically medium to full bodied and medium to high in carbonation.

Saison
(Includes Saisons, but not Brett-based Saisons or other beers made with sour wild yeasts)
Saisons should have an OG of between 1.040 and 1.065 for traditional styles, although modern variants can go up to 1.080. IBUs of 20-50 are typical. Hop additions should be used to balance any malt flavour. Saisons should be dry and well attenuated with a light body. Flavours typically come from yeast, although many saisons are flavoured with spices, fruit, herbs, vegetables, etc.. However, additional adjuncts should only enhance with background flavours and must not dominate. Saisons are highly carbonated.

Lambic/Sour
(Includes Bretts and Brett-based Saisons , wild yeast beers, Lambics, Berliner Weisses, Oud Bruin, Gueze , etc.. Does not include Saisons or Wheat Beers as identified in the as identified in the HBF Saison or Wheat Beer style guidelines)
Sours can have an OG of between 1.020 and 1.065, with Berliner Weisse beers at the lower end. IBUs of up to 20 are typical. The flavour generally comes from the yeasts, although some styles do have a degree of maltiness. Flavours typical of sours range from fruits and spices through to sweaty horse and barnyard funk. However, these flavours should not be too dominant. Sour ales are usually tart and slightly acidic, dry with medium to high carbonation. Some styles may be sweetened with fruit syrup when poured to offset the sourness. If this is the case then a fruit syrup should be included with the entry but not added to the bottle.

GENERAL CATEGORY GUIDANCE

SMaSH
Standing for Single Malt and Single Hop, all entered beers must be made with one grain type and one hop strain only. The idea if to marry up the grain and hop to make each shine. There are no limits on strength, style or IBUs, or qualifications in terms of mouthfeel, colour, carbonation, etc.. The beers must be balanced and both the malt and hop must be well presented with neither dominating.

Low ABV Beers
Low ABV beers may be of any style, colour, IBU or other specifications. The world is your oyster! There are only two rules: firstly, submitted beers must not be over 3% ABV; secondly, they must be tasty!

Experimental
Pine tree pilsner? Hot fermented lager? Bacon smoked bock? 24 hour boil DIPA? Seaweed and green tea stout? Rusty oil-can aged Weissbier? Peanut and pepper porter? If you've ever made one of these and want to see how it compares, then this is the category for you. There are no constraints in terms of OG, IBU, colour, mouthfeel or carbonation. However, beers must be drinkable, tasty and credible, not just wacky and weird!les for the HBF Brewing Competition are general and encompass a number of sub-styles. As such, some variations from the following will exist. However, submitted beers should always adhere to the core principles of the style.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just a couple of suggestions for the empty months since most styles are covered, but I don't know how popular they'll be. I'd really like to see a low ABV competition, so a maximum OG of say 1.030, because i think one of the most difficult beers to make is a low strength, well balanced beer. Or maybe a SMaSH competition using any single hop you want.
The only problem with these is that they maybe exclude kit brewers somewhat.

This is just a couple of suggestions for the empty months since most styles are covered, but I don't know how popular they'll be. I'd really like to see a low ABV competition, so a maximum OG of say 1.030, because i think one of the most difficult beers to make is a low strength, well balanced beer. Or maybe a SMaSH competition using any single hop you want.
The only problem with these is that they maybe exclude kit brewers somewhat.

I like the ideas, especially the low ABV as it's something I want to perfect. :smile: I think I'd limit the ABV rather than the OG tho.
SMaSH is a good idea as well, I wouldn't put the two together in the schedule so I'll tweak it a bit. I think I need to shuffle things a bit anyway cos at the minute the less obvious styles are all in 2018!

Low ABV is a good idea, and so is smash. I do think brewing a good low alcohol beer is harder than brewing a good high alcohol one. Which makes me think - beers over 7.5% competition?

Also can we start to volunteer to judge more than 1 competition yet?

No issues with people doing more than one, I'm more concerned about planning judges too far in advance in case people's circumstances change and they're unable to do it.

That's a good point, and on second thoughts I'd rather contribute my beer for feedback for Belgian styles. There are others I'd like to judge but will wait until a bit nearer the time and see if anyone else wants to judge before hogging them all.

The current competition schedule is shown below. Entries must be delivered to the judge by the end of the competition month and results and feedback will be provided shortly after that date. Each months competition will have it's own thread on this forum so if you want to ask any questions please do so in those threads.

Oct-16 IPA - DoctorMick
Nov-16 Pale Ale - Leon103
Dec-16 Wheat Beer - strange-steve
Jan-17 Stout/Porter - peteplus1
Feb-17 Double IPA - jceg316
Mar-17 Belgian Ale
Apr-17 Bitter
May-17 SMaSH - ezraburke
Jun-17 Saison
Jul-17 Light Lagers
Aug-17 Experimental
Sep-17 Brown Ale
Oct-17 IPA
Nov-17 Low ABV/OG Ale
Dec-17 Lambic/Sour
Jan-18 Stout/Porter
Feb-18 Scottish Ale
Mar-18 Trappist/Abbey ales
Apr-18 Bitter
May-18 Dark/Malty lagers
Jun-18 Imperial Stout
Jul-18 Light Lagers
Aug-18 Mild
Sep-18 Barleywine

If you have any suggestions for the empty months please put them forward here.

I cant see any cider or fruit based brews on the list :nono:

i was hoping that we could include something for those of us that brew TC's/Wines as i dont have the equipment to do a brew from grain etc yet

I cant see any cider or fruit based brews on the list :nono:

i was hoping that we could include something for those of us that brew TC's/Wines as i dont have the equipment to do a brew from grain etc yet

That's a good point, the discussion started out in the Beer forums so I guess none of us considered ciders and wines. Let me have a think about how we can incorporate something in there, maybe run a concurrent schedule?

I can do the Belgian Ales in March?

Got a stout fermenting for January and a IPA for October (hopefully will have conditioned in time).:thumb:

Great idea lads! :thumb:

Latest posts

Back