Home Brew Competition - March 17

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The category for March 17 is Belgian Ale

Style Guidelines:

Belgian Ales
(Includes Biere de Garde, Belgian Strong Ales and Belgian Pale Ales. Does not include Trappist/Abbey Ales, Witbier or Saisons)
Belgian Strong Ales are typically 1.060 to 1.090, with low IBUs of 15-35. Spicy hops are typically used to balance malt; while sweetish variants are available, many are medium to dry. Fruity esters are common. Belgian Pale Ales are typically 1.040 to 1.060 with IBUs in the region of 25-35. Flavour/aroma is malty with a fruity twang, although some spice or pepper tines are acceptable. Biere de Garde is typically 1.060 to 1.080, and shares many of the flavours/aromas typical of other Belgian Ales. However, it is lagered to deliver a cleaner taste and lighter body with medium to high carbonation.

You can see all style guidelines here: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64366

Judge: @AlanManley

If you'd like to enter please send a PM to the judge who will provide you with a delivery address. Entries must reach the judge by Friday 31st March and feedback will be provided by PM within a few weeks. The winner will be announced on this thread.

For details of what details needs to be provided with your entry and competition rules please look at this thread: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64349

Looking forward to this one. I just wanted to double check, could I enter a brett Belgian pale ale in this category? It wasn't categorically resolved when the subject of brett beers was raised before.

I am indeed up to the challenge and looking forward to it. I have a couple of brewers to support the tasting in mind.

I'm happy for it to include anything of the Belgian variety. I think a Brett Belgian Pale is just that. Unless anyone is opposed?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Got my entry for this in the fermenter. It's just over a week away from the bottle!

It's a Belgian Pale brewed with a tiny amount of liquorice. Bittered with Magnum and flavoured with Boadicea. Gravity test and sampling tomorrow.

I might actually get round to entering this one. My Belgian pale has gone down well with everyone who's tried it, although I've personally preferred some bottles to other (not sure how/why that would be)

I'll be sitting this one out, I've never done a Belgian beer and I don't have the fermenter space now anyway! Good luck to all.

All right, Lick Your Wrist is all bottled up and carbed. So it's got just over a month to condition before the comp. Excellent!
Early tastings are promising. Once again I look forward to peer feedback :)

I'd forgotten about this - I'll check if I have a bottle of Belgian left in the shed tonight and will contact @alanmanley if I do.

I'm keen for feedback and don't want to miss a 2nd comp through drinking all the beer!

Here it is. Clarity isn't there yet(plus I was rough pouring it), but this one has had a week in the fridge and it tastes fantastic.

It's a Belgian all right, classic Belgian fruity nose maybe a little more reserved than some. A nice balanced bitterness and subtle earthy hop taste and just the tinyest hint of liquorice at the end that blends into the finish.

I'm actually ecstatic with how this one has turned out. No idea how it's going to compare to the other entries, but this recipe is a keeper, for me at least.

IMG_20170303_201547.jpg

I'll be submitting at least 1. My last 2 beers were of Belgian style, and I'm brewing another on Sunday. One will definitely be ready, however the second is still fermenting, not sure if there will be enough time for it to condition.

Really looking forward to this!

I have a small panel of homebrewers who are keen to be involved.

Get your entries in! 😎🖒

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'd forgotten about this - I'll check if I have a bottle of Belgian left in the shed tonight and will contact @alanmanley if I do.

I'm keen for feedback and don't want to miss a 2nd comp through drinking all the beer!

Thought I had 2 bottles left, drank one, then realised the last bottle was a stout. D'oh! I'm desperate to enter one of these at some point!

Back